1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducklings nostril plug up--beware

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jmc, May 5, 2009.

1. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Yes, as the little ones get bigger, they cant submerge their nostrils in those little one qt. or even 1 gal size water fountains.

I noticed plug up in my 15 day old Khakis last night--accompanied by some wierd sounds.

Now, in add'n. to 1 gall. 'regular' font, i have 1 or two 1/2 rubber bowls in their brooding coop (mess, mess!!!) so that they can DEFINITELY submerge their nostrils if they need to/want to.

I am surprised no duck raising book has mentioned this hazard about growing ducklings and their water vessels.

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    What 'duck raising' books have you read? You didn't mention what the form of their feed is/was. IMO dry mash is the worst or a wet mash that is just too thick, it packs up in that bill and the duck feels the need to wash it out fouling the water in the process. If raised by a mother duck she usually shows them how to 'dabble' the feed back out of the water, ones raised by humans don't seem to get the ideal.

3. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    interesting about mother duck's lessons to babies.

ours are getting your basic game starter crumbles.

And, YES, their 1 gal water fountains do become 'beige' with feed residue, which they must get back up the schnoz.

4. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    my mallard ducklings are pros with their crumbles they take a few scoops of feed then go back to their watering hole to flavor it with spring mud water [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by