1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducklings not externally pipping

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Bobbimarks, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Bobbimarks

Bobbimarks Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2015
    Hi there! I am having duck hatching issues. My ducklings seem to be very active and internally pipping, but can't seem to externally pip. I don't know what the issue is.

My current egg ready to hatch is on day 24. It has already internally pipped. But no sign of an external pip yet. My eggs seem to do this...then die. Also, the few I've tried to help by poking an air hole have also died. SO FRUSTRATING! We have yet to have successful hatch.

Current settings are 99.5 degrees and 45% humidity, which I am currently trying to bring up since my ducky has already internally pipped. is there something I am missing?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    What kind of duck eggs have a 24 day incubation?

Troubleshooting: Have you ever calibrated/checked you thermometer/hygrometer for accuracy? Even brand new ones can be way off. What kind of incubator are you using? (Is it still or forced air?) Have you considered using a lower humidity until lockdown? Do you mist your eggs?

Wet sponges in the incubator at hatch usually help bring up the humidity.

3. Bobbimarks

Sep 27, 2015
    We are only on day 24 of 28 and already internally pipped.
    It is a forced air incubator. I tried calibrating my thermometer when I got it, it is possible I didn't get it completely accurate.
    I have not been spritzing them...does this help thin out the shell? If so, is it too late at this point?
    45% is the lowest humidity I seem to be able achieve. My incubator is completely dry.

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I know some spritz and some don't, I don't know the statistics on wether one is more successful than the other, but it wouldn't hurt to try. That's pretty early for already pipping. Usually early hatchers are a sign of slightly high temps. Or if it's an isolated egg it could be due to "hot spots" in the bator. I know on my bator even though it's forced air, I have distinct spots (under the heating element all the way around my bator-it's an LG 9200) is 1-2 degrees warmer than the outter areas and the center.

@RubyNala97 might be able to help more with duck specific stuff

5. caesargirl

caesargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Any updates?

6. Bobbimarks

Sep 27, 2015
    Well, I intervened...and he was definitely internally pipped, as I suspected 48 hrs ago. Chances are he won't make it, but would certainly not make it without either. He doesn't look like he's ready to hatch yet. Membrane around him still with some blood vessels running through... He is breathing and chirping, though.

Incubator is set at 98 degrees and 80% humidity.

I really think my shells are too thick and hard. We have well water with a lot of calcium, and our ducks are young...

We have another egg. On day 24 today, just starting to try and work its way into the air sack.

The current egg is a Peckin egg...so it is possible it was a little too close to the heating element, so maybe this would explain the earliness.

Hopefully he will keep going here, and not curl his little beak up inside the egg and do himself in.

7. Bobbimarks

Sep 27, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He is still hanging in there this morning. Been checking on him over night every couple of hours to make sure he is alive and humidity and temp are good.
    Still inside his membrane with just his beak out.

8. caesargirl

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    Are you keeping the membrane moist? I use a qtip with water and abut of bacitracin. When you look at the membrane, are you seeing veins? Also yawning?

9. caesargirl

May 13, 2015
    Unity, Maine
    In that second pic, that membrane looks dry... With a big fat vein...

10. Bobbimarks

Sep 27, 2015
    I am seeing veining. Does the white mean it's dry?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by