Ducklings on Chick Starter??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Horse Love Rio, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Horse Love Rio

Horse Love Rio New Egg

Mar 15, 2012
    I am getting ducklings for the first time on April 3, and i was wondering if feeding them chick starter is OK?

2. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    Chick starter is exactly what they eat! REGULAR CHICK STARTER!!!!!!!! NO MEDICATED!!!!!

3. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    Curious... why no medicated?

4. ChickenPrnces

ChickenPrnces Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2012
    Deerfield, NH
    The cocci prevention medication in it is apparently not tolerable by ducks!

5. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Also - ducks tend to gorge themselves and overeat, so it's harder to regulate the amount of medication that they are getting into their systems.

6. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The medication used in chick starter nowadays is usually amprollium and that is absolutely fine for ducklings. Check the label to verify that it is the only medication in the feed and it will be perfectly safe for ducklings.

Also check protein levels. Once wing feathers start to come in you don't want to feed higher than 16% protein.

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Then there is the concern about niacin. From the number of stories and reports I have read here and elsewhere, some ducklings seem to suffer neurological damage that can be quite serious, if they do not get enough niacin. Chick starter has about a third of the optimal amount for ducklings. This seems to be easily remedied by giving 100 to 150 mg of niacin per gallon of water till they are about ten weeks old (recommendation from Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks, on niacin deficiency).

If for some reason niacin capsules are unavailable, bugs, slugs and worms are said to have niacin in their bodies, so supplementing with those would likely help a great deal.

. . . I remember bringing in slugs for my little ones . . . .

8. ian4379

ian4379 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Australia
    i used to use medicated chick starter and the ducklings were fine. i had a particular line of ducks that developed limps and had to be put down, i was told this may have been due to lack of niacin. so for the next lot from the same parents i diluted a vitamin b(niacin) tablet in the water every second time and i didnt get any defects. i had other lines that were fine on the exact same feed though. i've since switched feed to a crushed grain mix from a local stockfeed supplier and havent had a problem. oh mine all free range as well so plenty of grass and bugs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by