Ducklings or Eggs??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hendrix25, Apr 29, 2009.

1. hendrix25

hendrix25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    I am starting new with this whole "Duck" thing. I can't seem to find the ducklings that I want at a reasonable price, so I'm now considering getting eggs and trying to hatch them...any suggestions?

I can't seem to find any local breeders and I really don't want to order over 3 ducklings right now. I was really excited [​IMG] about getting Ducklings, but the difficulty of finding some has become a real downer...[​IMG]

Need advice or direction

2. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    When I first thought about getting ducks, I didnt want to wait for the eggs to hatch, so I looked on craigslist and found some.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My first 3 ducks were craigslist freebees. Then I found a buff duck for $6. After that I tried hatching my own in a homemade incubator. I set 6 eggs the first time and got 1 duck. I bought this duck a buddy from Big R. I set 4 eggs the second time and got 2 ducks, but one died after a couple of days. I think my Big R duck and my latest hatch are boys.
    [​IMG]

There is so much that can go wrong during hatching. In my case, it was kids and cats that led to unplugging, lid lifting and unstable humidity.

Now I am just going to break down and order ducklings. I can get them sexed so I don't have to worry about having a drake overload. Any excess I will just sell on craigslist, but there are people in my area who are thinking of splitting an order with me.

4. hendrix25

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    Quote:Yeah I looked there too, but didn't have the breeds i am looking for.

5. hendrix25

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    Quote:good idea, i will see if anyone is interested in splitting an order. thanks for the suggestion. i wasn't to thrilled about the eggs idea anyways.

6. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Quote:My first 3 ducks were craigslist freebies too! (They're the 3 in my avatar pic - 1 Pekin and 2 Khaki Campbell girls)

If you're new at ducks, hendrix25, then I think you should probably start with a few adults - hatching and brooding are both difficult, and there's a good chance of losing some of them [​IMG]

I'm sure you could find something locally - what breed are you interested in? I found some rare breeds in my area by contacting my local 4-H group - the kids order and raise them for the fair, but are usually happy to sell them to a good home after they get their ribbons. [​IMG]

7. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    What kind of ducks do you want?

8. hendrix25

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    Quote:My first 3 ducks were craigslist freebies too! (They're the 3 in my avatar pic - 1 Pekin and 2 Khaki Campbell girls)

If you're new at ducks, hendrix25, then I think you should probably start with a few adults - hatching and brooding are both difficult, and there's a good chance of losing some of them [​IMG]

I'm sure you could find something locally - what breed are you interested in? I found some rare breeds in my area by contacting my local 4-H group - the kids order and raise them for the fair, but are usually happy to sell them to a good home after they get their ribbons. [​IMG]

Thanks, I'm looking for Khaki Campbell, Cayuga, Welsh Harlequin, or Muscovy. Ones that aren't too loud... I really really want a Cayuga that will turn out to be more on the green side (I love that look).

9. hendrix25

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    Quote:I'm looking for Khaki Campbell, Cayuga, Welsh Harlequin, or Muscovy. Ones that aren't too loud... I really really want a Cayuga that will turn out to be more on the green side (I love that look).

10. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Ones that aren't too loud

Avoid buffs like the plague then! LOL​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by