1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducklings range of Noise

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by wildpeas, Apr 15, 2012.

1. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    My older ducklings are 5/6 weeks now and they have a huge array of sounds they make. The runners like to sit at the waterer and squeak*mumble*chirp*cluck to themselves. The whole group makes sounds like quacks, shrieks, sqwaks, whistles, trills, clucks, mumbles, something that sounds like buhbah. They are supposed to be all girls. They are all incredibly loud when they think its treat time.

What have you noticed about your own birds?

Incidentally, when are they no longer considered ducklings?

2. Mike Winters

Mike Winters Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2011
    ducks are very talkative little critters they make all kinds of sound my adult females would make a purring sound like a motor sound when ever i changed the bedding in the shed

3. Goin Quackrrs

Goin Quackrrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Western Washington
    A lot of my ducklings have been making wild bird-ish sounds this year. I don't remember the ones from last year doing anything other than peeping.

They sure are a talkative bunch though!

I consider mine teenagers when they are about 5-6 weeks old. That probably varies from person to person though.

4. wildpeas

wildpeas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Port Orchard, Wa
    Quakrrs- It's so weird, my name is Kelly too and I also love photography! I'm old school though and prefer my print camera to my digital. I cant wait until my ducklings are bigger and outside so I can take 50 million pictures of them. [​IMG]

5. Goin Quackrrs

Goin Quackrrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2012
    Western Washington

Not only that, but we live in the same town!!! I have a small hoard of 35mm film because I still love my old school camera best of all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by