Ducklings refuse to leave the water.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by agreenway, Jul 8, 2016.

1. agreenway

agreenway New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    Raleigh, nc
    I have two 5 day old mallard ducklings females, they're my first ducks so I'm going on just internet and book info here. I have them using a large water dish with a smaller dish inside of it as suggested, but they just love to hop on top of the dish and sit on it! When they do, they are able to basically sit in a small puddle but there's no chance of drowning. I just want to make sure this is OK because they'll seriously sit there for hours, only leaving to go grab some food and then go back up.

2. Welshies

Welshies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Well, it is best if they can't go in the water, but if you're cleaning it frequently it's okay. Just make sure they don't poop in it and drink the poop-water concoction, lol!

3. agreenway

agreenway New Egg

Jul 8, 2016
    Raleigh, nc

Ok great thanks! I've been making sure to clean it at least twice an hour so it has never gotten very nasty at all. I'll make sure to continue keeping a close eye on it!

4. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    NH
    just make sure they are staying warm enough, ducklings can get chilled, they also do not have a mom duck to teach them to swim or to oil their feathers, their down can get water logged and then they can drown so just keep an eye on them

and WELCOME TO BYC!!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by