Ducklings, Save-A-Chick & a waterer

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bt03, Jun 10, 2011.

1. bt03

bt03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    We got some new ducklings a week ago and night before last I noticed that I have one that looks like a cowboy just come off a horse. His legs are very bowed. My husband went with the starter that the feed store suggested and I should have but I didn't read the list of ingredients before feeding it to them [​IMG] Niacin was towards the bottom of the list so now I'm in a pinch that is my fault. I went to the pharmacy last night to buy some straight niacin vitamins (flush free but the package says time released?) to put into their water. Well I noticed when I went to change their water this morning that there was a ring of fine white powder on the inside of the waterer. I was thinking of sending hubby to TSC to buy some packages of Save-A-Chick. Would that work to fix Duke's legs? They also told him that they thought that they were about 5 weeks when we got them so maybe 6 weeks now? But they aren't as big as my last Pekins at that age so I think they may be a bit younger or the feed is that wrong for them. Could I switch them to finisher now? I buy DuMor Brand finisher from TSC (never letting hubby buy feed again) usually so that is what they would be switched to. Would the finisher and the save-a-chick be enough niacin to help him before it's to late?

2. bt03

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    Any takers?

Bump

3. ksmith

ksmith Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Nor Cal
    I have heard that the time release do not work as well because they do not dissolve fully in the water. A year ago I bought 2 pekin ducklings and lost then both due to eg issues. So this year when I eciede to try ducklings again I bought 2 mallards and was VERY adimate about the whole Niacin thing. I went to a local health food store and bought BREWERS YEAST and sprinkled it on their chick starter food. NUTRITIONAL YEAST will work just as fine too. My mallards are now 2 months old and have had no leg issues what so ever. I am pretty sure the Save-A-Chick will work too. I hope your baby turns out healthy and strong!

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Ive had no problems with mu ducklings and they have been on Niacin like the kind you bought since birth. I also give mine Pedialyte in the same water too. I keep mine on the same feed as you but at 2 weeks I switch them over the the Finisher. AS also said, you can use Brewers Yeast in their food. I hope your babies make a full recovery [​IMG]

5. bt03

Mar 1, 2011
    Over the rainbow...
    Thank you both for the response! I am really worried about Duke now and I hope he doesn't mind me watching and messing with him every day to make sure he is getting better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by