Ducklings, Sneezing, and Vi-Tal dosage?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mayapple, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Mayapple

Mayapple Hatching

Jul 29, 2011
    Hi!
    I have a approx. 4-5 week old muscovy duckling who has started sneezing tonight. We have four, but only one is sneezing.

Background: Our temperatures have been fluctuating and while they have the heat lamp, I'm sure drafts still happen. They have gone swimming twice so far, once yesterday, which was a sunny day - although the water wasn't warm, and were put back into their brooder with heat lamp after the swim. I don't know if that could have caused it? Should I quarantine the sneezing duckling away from the other ducks?

I can't seem to find a definitive answer on the internet on if it's okay that it's sneezing or if it needs to be treated with medicine. I have some Vi-Tal I could give them, but no idea how to dose it for ducks.

Any and all suggestions would be appreciated! This is our first attempt at raising ducks and know no one who has done it before, so we're trying to figure it out all on our own. Thank you!!

2. nickie

nickie Songster

Jun 25, 2011
    north central KY
    Is it an actual achooo sneeze, or the equivalent of a duckie snot rocket? I know it seems like a strange question, but the crude description give you the idea of what I'm asking. Is it trying to get something disloged from the nares? Does it sound phlemy when it breathes?

3. Mayapple

Mayapple Hatching

Jul 29, 2011
    No snot rockets here! Just some gentle, achoo's. My husband went to give them fresh water and apparently the water level looked higher than it was, so they didn't have enough water to clear their bills. Would that cause it? Should I go ahead and give them Vi-Tal just in case (once I figure out dosage)?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would hold off on medication for the moment. Yes, insufficient water depth could lead to some minor irritation, and sneezing.

There is also a behavior I have seen where my ducks press the tip of their bill into the bedding, snort a quick little snort as they toss their head to one side, then trot off.

Still trying to figure out what they are saying but they seem to be in a good mood when they do it.

If you can upload a video, that might help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: