Ducklings staying with mama......what about food?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jamband, Mar 20, 2012.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    I plan on leaving the ducklings with mama when they hatch and let her raise them.....But what about food access? Can they eat layer or is the calcium bad for them? They will be with the rest of the flock so I can't change all the food. Just curious what you all do.....I could potentially block of an area for them and mama but would prefer not to.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Do you feed layer crumble or pellets ? If its the pellets it will be too big for the ducklings to swallow. For the safety of the little ones it would be advisable to let momma duck have an area of her own to raise the ducklings in. Its really hard to know who the rest of the flock will react to the babies- and in some cases drakes- and sometimes even other females have been known to kill ducklings.

Good luck with the hatch - I hope your momma duck does well and gives you plenty of babies.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You could feed Purina Flock raiser crumbles and then everyone could eat the same thing. I leave all my mamas and ducklings/chicks with the flock but they have a very large area to move around in so noone is right on top of anyone else, it works here. you'll just have to play it by ear and see how it goes if you want to try to leave everyone together.

4. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    the feed is basically ground grains etc...not pellets........was most wondering about calcium for the ducklings being bad? or protein levels being off. I think its 17% protein......they have lots of room in the coop and everyone else goes out all day.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    From what i have read it's not a good idea to feed ducklings layer because of the excess calcium. so either starter or Flock raiser, or duck starter if you can find it. sometimes drakes can kill ducklings, and also other female ducks can be mean too but mama duck will protect her ducklings and as long as they stay close to her it should be okay, unless you have multiple drakes then you may have a problem. I had 1 drake the last time I had ducklings he never went after them. I have 2 drakes and a gander so I'll be paying extra attention when they first hatch.

6. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    I just separated them when it was time to eat to make sure the chicks didn't eat the layer mash and that they older ducks did. So that would be my best advise to you.

7. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    do u switch the whole flock to a raiser feed with a seperate calcium source until the ducklings are old enough for layer?

and just feed the young ones 2xs a day as opposed to free choice?

8. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Yeah :)

1 person likes this.
  9. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    ok so i went ahead and switched everyone to grower which was fine but the 1 duckling i kept got angel wing bad. They eat once a day and have range of 3 acres all day.......Whats up? its chik grower, protein still too high at 18-19%?

10. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I just switched my guys all to a flock raiser... so it would cover all the ages... I still have free choice oyster shell for the girls. I free choice feed all my birds, i was to the understanding young birds should have access to food 24/7..

Last edited: Jun 9, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by