Ducklings stuck in the egg. Advice needed.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jujubear, Oct 23, 2009.

1. jujubear

jujubear Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2009
    I have Muscovies and they are layinn for the first time. I recently read not to let them lay on their first batch of eggs because the eggs will be smaller then normal and will cause problems. Well, I didn't read that before letting them hatch their babies. What I have found is dead babies that have begun the process of coming out of their eggs. After seeing many die I decided to help them out of their eggs if they had already crack the egg. I slowly removed the outer part of the end of the shell and left the inner thin layer (whatever it is). I ONLY removed the end of the shell, that their head was at.

Then I used hot water and dipped my fingers in the hot water. I rubbed around the thin layer and the outer shell (using my fingers) with the hot water. It seemed to motivate them to come out. I then slowly removed the thin layer of the open end of the shell. I dripped water off the end of my fingers onto the body of the baby to moisten him a little and again it motivated him to push out of the egg and then he was out.

This happened last night. So, I've heard I shouldn't do this. If I shouldn't then why do I have 2 babies chirping, compared to no babies chirping. Any advice on that?

ALSO, what do i do about the babies dying in the shell?

All advice is appreciated.

Lord Bless,
    Julie

2. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    Unless the eggs are unusually small there should not be a problem. It is very unusual for DIS with mother incubated eggs. Unless there is maybe severe inbreeding or a major vitamin deficency. The main issue with the helping hatch dilemma is helping the chick or duck when it is TOO SOON to help, meaning the chick has not absorbed the yolk sack. In some situations when the chick is ready to hatch, stuck to the shell, and cannot finish, there is no problems, and very often normal healthy babies is the result.

3. jujubear

Mar 16, 2009
    Thank you. That helps.

I have inbreeding issues. They are brother and sisters. I have not found anyone else that breeds White Muscovies in my area yet.

Lord Bless,
    Julie

4. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Many hatcheries sell white muscovies. In fact, it's hard to get any other color from a hatchery. Maybe you could order some ducklings this spring to add some new blood to your flock.

[​IMG]

5. jujubear

Mar 16, 2009
    I looked into that. It would cost me about $70 so I would rather find someone local. I know they are around. So if you ever hear of anyone in the Tampa area of Florida send them to this thread please.

Not that $70 wouldn't be a good investment.

Lord Bless,
    Julie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by