Ducklings Under Goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by LittleLakesFarm, Jun 16, 2017.

1. LittleLakesFarm

LittleLakesFarm Songster

Jun 15, 2013
    I have a 3 year old goose ("Edith") that has been sitting on infertile/dead eggs for a couple of months. She proved last year to be an excellent mother with goslings we put under her (because her eggs were infertile then too).
    I just hatched 6 healthy ducklings last week. I have been told it would be okay to put the ducklings under mama goose seeing as she is broody & obviously waiting for some babies.
    My question is, how old should the ducklings be when I put them with her? They are under heat right now & I'm worried one will get squashed under mama goose.
    Also, there is another female goose (1 yr. old, "Pringlez") out there with her (it's mama goose's "daughter";unrelated). She has no experience raising babies & is a bit of a mama's girl. I'm worried Pringlez might bully the ducklings out of jealousy or for some other reason!?!? Pringlez has been sitting on a few eggs too but isn't so serious about it. She spends most of her time out & about with the gander. She is grouchy at the moment & hisses at me. I have had geese attack ducks before so I am just concerned.
    I plan to keep the mama goose & ducklings separate from my gander ("inglez") & Pringlez until they get used to the idea of the babies being there. I just need to know how old the babies should be?!?!? Any helpful information is welcome. Thank you! :love

P.S. It is quite warm out at the moment. It is supposed to be around 80 degrees fahrenheit for the next few days. The run where I plan to keep them with mama goose is located inside of our greenhouse so quite hot in there where her nest is.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  2. Benevolent Barn

Benevolent Barn In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2017
    Now, they are definetely old enough. At this stage they are about the size of a newborn gosling and a mother goose does not step on her own babies. Do not wait to long because they will start getting big in the next couple of weeks. Best of luck.

LittleLakesFarm likes this.
  3. LittleLakesFarm

LittleLakesFarm Songster

Jun 15, 2013
    I had a duck step on her babies last year and killed them so I was a bit worried the goose might do the same. Thank you!!! :love

4. Benevolent Barn

Apr 22, 2017
    Oh my, that sounds terrible! All of the ducklings?

5. LittleLakesFarm

LittleLakesFarm Songster

Jun 15, 2013
    Last year was just awful but definitely a learning experience. All but one, "Tweedy" got flattened. I think most runner ducks just don't have the mothering instincts that most chickens & geese do. We live & learn. They love their babies but just don't get how to care for them (apparently).

Last year, after I found that mama duck "Elithpa" had flattened her babies, I brought the lone survivor "Tweedy" inside until he/she grew big enough (so I thought). I then took Tweedy outside to test the waters so to speak. Mama Elithpa & baby Tweedy reunited & it was the most beautiful thing I have EVER seen! They totally remembered each other. They were kissing & going on over eachother. It made me cry. So I was thinking, I can't separate them now (plus she was a couple of weeks older by then), surely they will be alright! So I left her with her mommy & found that baby Tweedy had died a week later. Causes unknown. Ugh so sad. Last year I said, "I'm never doing this again!" Here I am again this year with 6 babies lol.

UPDATE ON THE GOOSE SITUATION NOW: We took this year's babies out to put under mama goose. It was a kerfuffle to say the least (as one would expect). We waited & waited. Mama goose was definitely willing to mother the babies but the babies were not taking to her at all! They probably would have gotten acquainted over time but I'm not taking any chances. Apparently (according to another thread) I waited too long. They should've been put out there no more than 3-4 days old. They only recognize me as their mother now :/. Again, we live and learn!
    However, Mama duck Elithpa (same duck from last year with baby Tweedy) heard the peeps of the new baby ducklings & was quacking very loudly all day. She was very interested! I do not trust Elithpa to mother them tho (I wish I could!). So the ducklings are now in a pen outside during the day & inside under heat at night. The geese have moved on. Everyone seems happy. The ducklings will go on to be with Elithpa & my other duck, "Twin" when they are full grown, separate from the geese). I have to keep my ducks & geese separate because the geese (particularly the gander, "Inglez") can be quite mean & unpredictable towards the ducks. I'm not sure if Inglez is in protect mode because the mama geese have been broody or if he is just a jerk. He is a good guard tho either way. Fortunately we have the space where they can be separate & everyone can roam & be happy.

Last year's Tweedy & sibling before they died :'(
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  6. Benevolent Barn

Apr 22, 2017
    They are so adorable, we always do learn from our mistakes. This years ducklings will grow healthy and strong. Enjoy and watch them grow!

Miss Lydia likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: