Ducklings with bare patches on wings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by IRL, May 19, 2010.

1. IRL

IRL Songster

Apr 12, 2010
    Hi
    Is it normal for my two 10 day old pekin ducklings to have a pink bald spot on top of their wings? It runs the length of their wings and is about 1 cm wide. Thanks

2. chickboss

chickboss Songster

Mar 23, 2010
    It's normal. They are just growing faster than their feathers can keep up. [​IMG]

3. JosieR

JosieR Songster

Apr 24, 2010
    Orange County, NY
    I'm new to ducks so I don't know what usually happens but I can tell you my runners (slightly older than my cayugas) had a bald strip almost a 1/2 inch wide on their wings. They heave feathers on their chests and were getting them on their backs. I started to panic but remembered everyone on here ALWAYS asks "Are they eating and drinking and acting normal" so I watched for a few days to make sure they were eating and drinking as much as usual, running around as much and they were so I just let them be.

I can now see the feathers starting to come in on the wings so I guess that was it, they were just growing faster than their feathers were!

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Songster

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    They look really motley as they outgrow their fuzz! My husband was sure our first batch of ducks had some horrid disease. [​IMG] Thankfully I was familiar enough not to panic and to just show him where the dick book said it was natural. [​IMG]

5. chickenlittle1980

chickenlittle1980 Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    NC
    I was just getting ready to post that too. my 2 week old runners have pink spots on there wings too I never noticed on my pekins they where dyed blue and red when i got them.

6. IRL

IRL Songster

Apr 12, 2010
    Thanks guys, glad to know my ducklings are ok!

7. maralynn28

maralynn28 Songster

Mar 4, 2010
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Quote:Sorry but this typo made me LOL! [​IMG] It's just been that kind of day I guess. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by