Ducklings with crooked legs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sfraker, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Sfraker

Sfraker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    I have had my first 6 ducklings for two weeks now (Welsh Harlequins). They are getting HUGE so fast and are eating me out of house and home. They are fed an organic duck starter feed. With occasional bits lettuce or apple in some water for some dunking fun.

I noticed that one of them has legs that are angled in. When she walks her right foot lands on the ground under the left side of her body an vice versa for the other leg. I do not believe she arrived this way. She gets around just fine and keeps up with her sisters without any trouble. Since I noticed her legs I have paid really close attention to the others. A couple of them have one leg that does this and the other is fine.

I bought some niacin today and am hoping that this is the correct route to go. Any other suggestions?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That's a good start, hopefully you are catching it early and as they grow will work itself out with the niacin supplement. Give this till at least 1o weeks of age.. [​IMG]

3. Sfraker

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    I have been giving them Niacin water since I posted. Everyone looks great now. I will keep it up until they are ten weeks old as stated in this thread.

Thank you all for your support!

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Awesome news, that's what we like to hear.[​IMG]

5. gldnpupper27

gldnpupper27 New Egg

Jun 30, 2015
    How much niacin are you supposed to use per gallon?

6. Sfraker

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
  7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by