Ducklings with foot problems

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kd0axs, Jun 11, 2011.

1. kd0axs

kd0axs New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    Hello, we have 2 ducklings that were born with foot problems. One is able to get up and walk, just not very good but the other one's feet are curled up and it can't get up on its feet at all. Just wondering if there is anything we can do in the short term to help them.

Here's a little background on our situation, we have been getting a little crash course in egg hatching.

These ducks are not going to be kept as pets. They are wild eggs and the mother duck was hit by a car. We brought her to the Wildlife Rehabilitaion Center but unfortunately she had to be put down. At that point, we weren't sure what to do with the eggs. The WRC doesn't take eggs and incubate them, but they told us they would gladly take the ducklings once they were hatched if we wanted to incubate them. We brought the eggs in and put them under a heat lamp and then borrowed an incubator from someone the next day, so the eggs were without incubation for at least one full day if not longer and we never knew exactly how old the eggs were. There were a total of 9 eggs and from candling we determined that one of them had died early on. The first duckling hatched on Wednesday night, then one on Thursday night, and 3 hatched yesterday. These first 5 ducklings are all doing great. We had 2 hatch today, these are the ones that have the foot problems. There is still one that hasn't hatched yet, but it does have some cracks so it's getting ready to hatch. I'm kind of suspecting that this one may also have problems. I'm sure the lack of incubation is at least part of the cause of all this. As soon as the last one hatches, we will be taking them to the WRC where they will be raised with other ducks and the healthy ones will eventually be released into the wild.

So, I'm just wondering if there is anything we can do to help the ones with foot problems until we take them in to the WRC.

Thanks!

2. kd0axs

kd0axs New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    Just an update...The last one finally did hatch, but this one still has some yolk sac attached and was bleeding a little bit. Strange thing is from the reading I have done, it seems it's usually ones that hatch early that have this problem. This was the last one to hatch.

3. kd0axs

kd0axs New Egg

Jun 11, 2011
    Well this last one seems to be doing ok now. It does look like this one is also going to have foot problems though. However, he is trying to get up and walk so he might pull through.

Good news though, the one that could barely walk before is doing much better. We have him in the brooder and he is running around with all the other ducks, he just has a little bit of a limp. The other two are still in the incubator.

Looks like we will be taking them to the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center in the morning since they are all hatched now.

Thanks for letting me invade the forum [​IMG]

Even though no one answered me in this thread, reading some of the other threads here has been a big help.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2011
  4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Sorry that no-one answered your questions- but it does sound like you have things sorted now. Great that you took those eggs and incubated them. It must have been a wonderful experience for you- as well as knowing that although the mother duck was dead - that her babies will live on. They can sometimes be wobbly on their feet for a while after hatching - without their being something actually wring with them. They need time to stretch out and use the muscles for a while after being cramped up in the egg for so long. Im sure the Wildlife Rehabilitation Center do a great job raising them. Do you plan on keeping in touch about the ducklings? It might be really nice for you to be around when they are released.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by