Ducklings with Momma Hen (pics)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by fowlmood, May 10, 2009.

1. fowlmood

fowlmood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2009
    northern Michigan
    Here are the three ducklings that my White Rock hen hatched out a little over a week ago. She went broody and since I don't have a rooster I kept telling her it was pointless. I ended up giving her 5 duck eggs. She hatched out 3 of them and has no idea that they are ducks and not chicks and they have no idea she is a chicken and not a duck. So far all is going well and everyone is getting along great. They have been eyeballing the kiddie pool though. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    ooooo, you are so going to have to take pix of the look on her face the first time her 'chicks' jump in that pool!
    Isn't it neat how love knows no bounds? Proud Mama.
    [​IMG]

3. One Acre Wonder Farm

One Acre Wonder Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2009
    Vermont
    Simply adorable! Look how big they are! I'll bet she's a proud mama!

4. fowlmood

Jan 28, 2009
    northern Michigan
    She has been a very good Momma. She is doing all the right things. Even trying to attack me if I get too close. The funny thing is, as you can see in the picture, she doesn't seem to mind the other ducks being around but if one of the chickens gets too close she'll run them off. Maybe she thinks she really is a duck? Anyway, she is a natural. It is sooooooooo fun to watch. Better than all 600 channels on the t.v.!!!!

5. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

Ha~she is probably telling the other hens "I TOLD you those vitamins were wonderful!! Look how BIG my babies are compared to yours!!!"

6. wingnut1

wingnut1 Crazy Bird Lady

One of the adult ducks is looking at your hen and her babies and muttering to the other ducks "I told you that drake would flirt with anything that moved" .... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Wonderful story and pics - thanks for the smile!

7. hendrix25

hendrix25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    GA
    What a wonderful story to share with us on Mother's Day. It's amazing how us humans could learn from animals. This is a poster shot for Adoption. Love has no conditions. I really enjoyed seeing this story as I signed on this morning. Thanks for sharing it! HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to every MOTHER of a child and/or an animal!

8. fowlmood

Jan 28, 2009
    northern Michigan
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Wingnut1 that is really funny since one of my drakes does try to do his thing with the chickens too. We've had a lot of good laughs wondering what all the various birds might be thinking.

9. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    THAT is awesome!

10. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    That is toooooooooooo cute! It made me smile [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by