Ducklings with Momma Hen (pics)

fowlmood

Songster
10 Years
Jan 28, 2009
northern Michigan
Here are the three ducklings that my White Rock hen hatched out a little over a week ago. She went broody and since I don't have a rooster I kept telling her it was pointless. I ended up giving her 5 duck eggs. She hatched out 3 of them and has no idea that they are ducks and not chicks and they have no idea she is a chicken and not a duck. So far all is going well and everyone is getting along great. They have been eyeballing the kiddie pool though.
lol.png

21982_goldie_with_ducklings.jpg

21982_ducks_and_ducklings.jpg

ooooo, you are so going to have to take pix of the look on her face the first time her 'chicks' jump in that pool!
Isn't it neat how love knows no bounds? Proud Mama.
smile.png

She has been a very good Momma. She is doing all the right things. Even trying to attack me if I get too close. The funny thing is, as you can see in the picture, she doesn't seem to mind the other ducks being around but if one of the chickens gets too close she'll run them off. Maybe she thinks she really is a duck? Anyway, she is a natural. It is sooooooooo fun to watch. Better than all 600 channels on the t.v.!!!!

One of the adult ducks is looking at your hen and her babies and muttering to the other ducks "I told you that drake would flirt with anything that moved" ....
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif

Wonderful story and pics - thanks for the smile!

What a wonderful story to share with us on Mother's Day. It's amazing how us humans could learn from animals. This is a poster shot for Adoption. Love has no conditions. I really enjoyed seeing this story as I signed on this morning. Thanks for sharing it! HAPPY MOTHERS DAY to every MOTHER of a child and/or an animal!

lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
Wingnut1 that is really funny since one of my drakes does try to do his thing with the chickens too. We've had a lot of good laughs wondering what all the various birds might be thinking.

Back
Top Bottom