Ducklings with seizures

Rocki

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 13, 2013
Hi Im Rocki Please HELP ME My buff fell out of my hands unto the floor at about 2 weeks old and had what looked like a seizures. I picked him up and held him and in a few seconds he seem ok until i fill the tub with a bit of water just enough for him to float with his other 3 buddies. I notice that he held one of his legs up under him and realized something was wrong. after a few days he seem fine in the water and having fun with his buddies, until today, when i approach him to pick him up he jumped to the other corner of their container and had another seizure. I am sick over it, I held him again and he was limp as if dead, but I could still feel his heart pumping, I felt he may not be breathing to I did a bit of cpr after a min. he's seem weak but alert as if nothing had happen. I just but him in tub of water and both legs were paddling. but now when he try to scratch his beak he tumbles, he is not steady on his feet only when trying to scratch his beak, Diami is 4 1/2 weeks old. What else can I do. please help.
THANK YOU!

I hope someone else answers who really knows. But I did have something very similar happen to my ducklings this spring, but she was only 1-2 days old. We had some emergency chick vitamin powder. (I think it was called Quick Chick.. not sure there) So I made it double strong and made her drink some 2-3 times a day (not sure on that) She recovered completely and is full grown and absolutely normal. Hope that helps.

Rocki, so sad little Diami is having trouble. DucksnDaffodils makes a very good point. Often, seizures are associated with vitamin deficiency, especially niacin.

I would get niacin capsules - plain, not no-flush or timed release - and make a solution 150 mg per gallon of water, for drinking. It won't hurt the others, from anything I have read. Use that for 8 weeks, daily.

Once a week for 3 weeks to start, I would add poultry vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics to the drinking water, it is a wider spectrum supplement.

Please let us know how that goes.

If you are unable to get grower or starter especially made for ducks, adding brewers yeast (available at most elevators) to their feed helps supplement niacin. You can add up to 20% of feed, but I wouldn't add that much because its kind of fine and will separate out to the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom