Ducklings with wobbly legs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Pippakennedy, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Pippakennedy

Pippakennedy New Egg

Aug 22, 2016
    Is anyone able to advise what the problem is? I have a family of ducklings that are struggling with wobbly legs. They are about 4 days old now. I had a similar problem last year and they all died. Is there anything I can do? Does anyone know what causes it?

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    What are you feeding them? Are you providing niacin in their food/water? Most people use non-medicated chicken feed for their ducks and ducklings, which is perfectly fine, as long as you provide extra niacin in the food or water for the ducklings. Chick feed does not have enough niacin in it for ducklings, which can result in leg and neurological issues. If you add in niacin now the condition can correct itself though, so don't lose hope yet!

It could also be a genetic issue causing your problems. Were the parents of this year's hatch the same as last year? Are they from your own flock? Are the parents possibly related?

3. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Niacin is found in Brewers' yeast. Which you can find in some grocery stores, (BREWERS yeast, not baking yeast), pharmacies or nutrition stores.

4. Pippakennedy

Pippakennedy New Egg

Aug 22, 2016
    Thank you very much! I will sort out some niacin for them. The ducks are a flock of semi wild mallard that live round my house and on the lake in front. I feed them mixed corn - could this be the problem? I only recognise the different ducks rather than the drakes (!?) - the problem family this year is from a different duck but could be that the same drake could have caused the genetic problem. The heart ache is that the mother is my favourite duck! If I manage to save any I will report back! Thanks again.

5. Cherib603

Cherib603 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Mixed corn is not a great diet.

6. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Agreed. That is not a good diet for a duck. Corn should be used as a treat only, or a very small part of their diet, since it does not provide any of the proper nutrition a duck should get. They LOVE corn though, so it's not surprising if some of them maybe are just eating that and not foraging properly for insects, snails, etc that they should be getting for a balanced diet. So, I would guess the problem is most likely nutritional in this case.

You can fix this though, don't freak out! ;) Get that niacin and some proper duck (or non-medicated chicken) feed instead of that mixed corn. That should help alot with their leg issues and general health.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by