Ducklings with yellow crust on top of their feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by scarletjane36, Jul 27, 2014.

1. scarletjane36

scarletjane36 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2014
    Hi I'm new to ducks,
    I have three ducklings that are about three weeks old. They just have a darkening crust on top of their feet. My husband took a piece of it off and underneath the skin looked fine. The bottom looks pretty good too as you can see from the pictures. They have no problem walking a fact proven by my husband trying to catch them. But I'm worried and would like to know what is the best way to proceed, clean their feet, remove it, and use antibiotics? or is it something that requires a vet?

We keep them outside during the day in an 8ft x 10ft, 8ft high cage with no floor only the grass that is growing, we move it every 2-3 days from location (not an easy task). At night they sleep inside in a straw filled box, which we also change every 2-3 days. They have a small bath they can wash in which we clean daily. I also have two goslings and I'm worried it could be contagious.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. scarletjane36

Jul 27, 2014
    Well since I haven't received any answers I will try and get in contact with the vet. It is hard since there are no vet hospitals I can take them to. I have to see if a vet will make a house call.

3. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    You are sure it is a scab and not dried feed/other food that they have stepped in and now it has dried/hardened on feet? Wash feet and see if it comes off. No indication of sores under scab,tissue is healthy looking? Is it just between webbed toes?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  4. scarletjane36

Jul 27, 2014
    First of all, thanks for the reply. We have washed their feet but it wasn't coming off and we were afraid of hurting them. Part of it lifted off on one of them and the skin looked fine underneath (all three have it). It is just between the webbed toes and nowhere else.

5. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    If it does not come off with soaking feet,i'm wondering if it is some type of fungal or yeast infection due to the fact that it is just between webbed toes. Any indication of blistering?

If you can find a vet please update with findings as i am curious as to what it is.

Couple of other issues to look into is a biotin deficiency and fowl pox.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  6. scarletjane36

Jul 27, 2014
    No blistering, but today they are not happy, they have been confined to quarters. I know they miss running around and swimming. I found a vet and he will come this afternoon. I will take the opportunity and have him look at the other animals. I've had chickens before, but ducks are totally foreign to me, as are geese so I will have him check out my geese too. I bought the ducks two weeks ago, I knew the seller wasn't to be trusted because of how I saw him treating the bunnies, but I just felt sorry for the ducklings and figured we could give them a better life.

7. scarletjane36

Jul 27, 2014
    The vet came and he says he has never seen anything like it. He took pictures will consult with another vet and get back to me.
    Not very comforting. He peeled some of it off and the duckling started bleeding. The only thing I know for sure is that it is not mites or bumblefoot.

8. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Interesting,if i had to guess it would be possible avian pox,reason is that in waterfowl wart like lesions occur most commonly on feet in particular the webbing between toes. The lesions are the right color and when pulled off you often will have bleeding.

Please update on vets diagnosis. In the meantime research avian pox in waterfowl,see if any of this matches what you are seeing.

9. scarletjane36

Jul 27, 2014
    Vet came back today, he hasn't got any answers. I asked him about avian pox and he said no that it wasn't that. He has called several other vets in the region and no reply he is awaiting reply from an expert in ducks. The good thing is that it doesn't seem to bother them as they are eating and running around. In fact two of them seem to be getting better all on their own.

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Flock Master Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by