Ducklings wont follow mum

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Pickle Rick, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Pickle Rick

Pickle Rick Chirping

Oct 1, 2018
    QLD Australia
    help! my mother Muscovy duck has 2 ducklings that just wont follow her! I've got them both in my incubator right now but I don't know what to do! any help? Btw they are only 3 days old

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

No really sure as to the reason you removed them from the mother? Please explain more details.

Pickle Rick likes this.
  3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Is she enclosed where the ducklings are safe if they don’t keep up? Do they seem sick?

Pickle Rick and Kkrista123 like this.
  4. Kkrista123

Kkrista123 Songster

Dec 2, 2018
    Hatboro PA
    My Coop
    Are you looking to hand raise them? You're in that boat now!

Pickle Rick likes this.
  5. Miss Lydia

Not necessarily I had to bring a Muscovy duckling in over night because a blk snake got hold of him and I wanted to make sure he was okay little thing was in the death grip. Any way kept him in over night took him back to mama next day she accepted him with out any problems and he was so happy to be back with mama too. Of course we need more info from OP is it winter and the little ones would freeze to death if they don’t stay up with mama?Could they be easily taken by a predator? We need more info.

LilyLoo, Pickle Rick and Kkrista123 like this.
  6. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted To Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    Momma knows best...
    new hatchlings of do as they please, mum will take care of them. I recommend putting them back with momma duck. :)

Pickle Rick likes this.
  7. Pickle Rick

Pickle Rick Chirping

Oct 1, 2018
    QLD Australia
    ok ill answer all of the questions
    they were on the complete other side of the dam they were on and were barely moving
    they are not enclosed because their duck enclosure is only meant for sitting/nesting ducks, and they are not sick as it turns out they were just cold
    there are unfortunately some predators around and at the moment its cold and raining extremely heavy
    as to these 2 questions after a night in the incubator they were both warmed up and started being more active so I took them both back down to the momma and they started following her again!
    Cheers everyone!

8. HuffleClaw

HuffleClaw Addicted To Birds

Jul 8, 2018
    Alabama
    I’m glad you decided to let momma duck raise them. :)

LilyLoo and Pickle Rick like this.
  9. Miss Lydia

I am glad you took them in and gave them over night to come around they probably wouldn’t have made it if you hadn’t. That’s great they are back with mom now and back following her. Thanks for the update!

LilyLoo, Pickle Rick and HuffleClaw like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: