ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by metex, Dec 25, 2016.

1. metex

metex New Egg

Dec 25, 2016
    Our duck has just hatched about 6 ducklings last night (xmas day)
    was wondering what we have to supply for her to help her look after her babies
    thanks

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

Congratulations on your new ducklings and [​IMG]!

What's your setup for the ducks? One of my primary concerns with my broody ducks was keeping them (and the hatchlings) safe from predators and away from the other ducks. I had them in their own netting-covered run with a small coop that I closed up at night - I found out quickly that ducklings can squeeze through small openings, so I added netting around the bottom foot of the fencing to prevent escapes.

Food and water were available in the run, but I only provided shallow waterers until the ducklings grew older and larger to prevent drowning. I happened to have a shallow plastic dish (it was actually the bottom piece of a large waterer) and would fill it with about a half inch of water and those little ones would get right into it and splash around. As they grow, a paint roller tray works well for safe, supervised swimming.

Ducks have higher niacin requirements than chickens, so I also added brewer's yeast to their food. I fed chick starter for the first couple of weeks, then lowered the protein by adding rolled oats until they were fully feathered to prevent angel wing from developing.

There are a lot of handy resources here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/other-backyard-fowl-ducks-quail-turkeys-geese-etc.

Best to you and your ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by