Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BlueBirdChick, Aug 13, 2010.

1. BlueBirdChick

BlueBirdChick On Vacation

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    Just ordered 6 ducklings. A st. run not its hatcheries choice. So that should be interesting. Anyway this is my first time raising ducklings. Anyone got suggestions all are welcomed. [​IMG]

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

Bedding I say use newspaper at the very bottom then straw on top, sprinkle some baking soda in there too. That or buy a few 1$ towels from the dollar store and use them as the bottom, have enough for when you take out the dirty ones and can put down 'clean' ones till change time again. Each time you clean brooder (every day if not 2X a day) wash them in the sink scrub them clean, and let them dry. Use a plastic top of some kind (like a plastic shoe box top or tote top) and put food and water in, this will help catch the water the splash , and keep the bedding dryer. [​IMG]

Good luck!

Ducks are amazingly cute!

3. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    Peas! Peas! and more Peas!! LOL

Mine grew up getting more and more scared of me. A couple weeks ago I was told to try peas and you would think they are my best friend now. Everytime they see me they run over to me... I am not sure how young you can start feeding them peas but they sure do LOVE them!

4. SugarDuck

SugarDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Lamar, AR.
    Ducks are messy messy creatures. We've brooded 8 ducks altogether and they are messy. I think they get really attached to you though at a young age. A lot of people don't recommend it but we brooded them in big plastic storage tubs. Either that or the metal brooders you can buy at like TSC. Because you will have to change the bedding every day and wash it out. You will need to put their water up a little higher and maybe even put something heavy inside it (we eventually put a rock inside of a gallon waterer). They will knock over the water and poop in it, even worse than chickens. Same thing with their food. They are a lot of work and make chickens seem like a breeze to care for. With that being said though they are awfully funny as they grow up. Mine love the few minutes after you change one of their 3 swimming pools. The dive in and all jump out quacking waving their wings and run wildly around the pools and jump into another and start bobbing their heads up and down.

5. Snakeman

Snakeman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 19, 2010
    Quote:All our ducks do the same thing. In case you didn't know, the head bobbing thing is an invite to breed.

6. BlueBirdChick

BlueBirdChick On Vacation

Aug 13, 2010
    Absarokee, Montana
    what was i thinking ? lol

7. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2009
    Australia
    Quote:I dunno what you were thinking then, but i'd be thinking *MORE DUCKS!* [​IMG]

Also ducks (if are people friendly i guess) lurve attention. And just you hanging around with them. And lurve it when you (willingly or not) share you lunch.

My babies loved to tumble into my lap outside when they were done playing/swimming/eating and get completely comfy, all squished together so i'd feel too guilty if i moved and woke them up. Had to sit there til they woke up.

I bet you'll fall inlove with ducks too [​IMG]

*Also they love it when you feed/help find ur duckies bugs n insects

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by