Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Silkie Chick, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Silkie Chick

Silkie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello,

Yesterday we went to the local TSC and purchased 9 ducklings.[​IMG] I have done quite a bit of research on how to take care of them (getting ducks was not a quick desicion), but there doesn't seem to be very much information about anything but the very basics. I understand that ducks are not chickens, so I was wondering if there is anything in particular that you found to avoid/do when rearing ducklings.
    I am pretty sure I have: one Magpie, two Fawn and White Runners, two Pekins, and four Rouens/Mallards. They seem to all be healthy, and are enjoying playing in their water. Any advice will be helpful. Thanks.
    P.S. in case it wasn't blatantly obvious, these are my first set of ducklings. [​IMG]

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Does the mallard/rouen have one or two stripes on the face? Also just make sure they don't get chilled playing in the water. Sounds like you have everything under control [​IMG]

3. Silkie Chick

They have two stripes across the eyes. We make sure that we fill their waterer with warm water, just because that is what we do with the chicks, so we figured it couldn't hurt with the ducklings. But now we have a real reason to keep doing that I will definately remember.

4. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    Like this?

[​IMG]

or:

[​IMG]

5. Silkie Chick

[​IMG][​IMG]

I know that the duck brooder is a little small. We will make it bigger in a day or two, but we needed to put them in something last night.

6. Kevin565

Dec 22, 2009
    Congrats it looks like Rouens! They are so adorable [​IMG]

7. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by