Ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by atikin, Nov 30, 2012.

1. atikin

atikin Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    New Zealand
    Hello I have 5 day old pekin ducklings

at what age do they no longer need a heat source and go out side?

I also under stand that ducklings can drown trying to swim, when can I give them water to paddle in and what depth, and when are they alowed in a pond? (old bath that my older ducks use)

Thanks so much :)

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    What are you averaging temps at the moment?

They can go swimming the issue is them not being able to get back out and chilling themselves. They aren't very well insulated when younger. I don't give my ducklings full water privilege until they are around 6 weeks.

3. atikin

Mar 5, 2012
    New Zealand
    they are under a 40watt bulb but they will move on to a heat pad when it arrives in the mail

and great thanks :)

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    They need to be fully feathered before they can go outside without heat if you have cold temps. You would technically drop the temp in the brooder 5 degrees every week, starting at about 90-95 on day 1. When brooder temp equals outside temp, they can go outside but again if you have cold temps they need heat so 6-8 weeks inside.

5. atikin

Mar 5, 2012
    New Zealand
    thank you, and it is currently summer now :)

6. TTeddy

TTeddy Out Of The Brooder

Hi,
    I'm in Western Australia and it's summer here too.
    I have 4 one week old Saxony ducklings and I haven't had them under and lamps etc. I have them inside at night, and during the day if necessary. I keep them away from drafts and also had them in a box for the first few days.
    Also, I will sit them in the sun when possible, but make sure that they can get out of it if the so desire.
    I don't think there's any reason for a heat lamp this time of the year. You survive with what you can afford I guess.

[​IMG]

7. TTeddy

TTeddy Out Of The Brooder

When you do put the heat pad in with them. Please make sure that it is water proof and also make sure that they can move off it whenever they choose to.

Cheers

8. atikin

Mar 5, 2012
    New Zealand
    im not sure if it is water proof but it is designed for pets so i presume it is but will check when i get it, and they will haev space to get of if they get to warm

Im in New Zealand :) and its currently been 28degrees for the last few days but it is ment to get down to 16 soon, i have also been taking them out side which the just love, ps your duckling is sooo cute!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by