Ducklings...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ChanceRider, Oct 20, 2008.

1. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Just thought I'd post a couple of pics of my ducklings/ducks, then and now. I adopted them from a man outside a grocery store, who had them in a dog crate with a sign for "free ducks". I had looked at them, ahhh'd and oooh'd over them, and drove away. Only to turn right around and go back for them. I kept wondering what would happen to them if someone took them and didn't give them a good home. So, here's a pic of them in their "pool" a couple of weeks after coming to live with us...

[​IMG]

and here are a couple of pics taken today. Dang, they've really grown quickly! LOL, I'm still not sure what breed they are, but they're sure cute! The one in the front is Snuffles...

[​IMG]

and here's a better picture of Quackers...

[​IMG]

Any thoughts on what they are?

2. ladybug4ut1

ladybug4ut1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2007
    Central Florida
    the black on looks just like our crackers...he is a cayuga and the other one looks like a female mallard or rouen in color...i do not know the specifics on the rouen breed....i am sure the black one is a cayuga

[​IMG]

3. BackSwampGirl

BackSwampGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2008
    Richlands,NC 28574
    Hey,we have Rouens and Cayugas.And you are right.The black is Cayuga,and the Rouen is a female.The drake has a ring around its neck.They are precious.I got one female Rouen that has a beak that is turned to the side.But she is so sweet.And I love my Ducks.,Sandra:)

4. BeakSanctuary

BeakSanctuary Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    They're beautiful and I'm so glad you went back for them so they could have a good home. Critters depend upon good will so much for their livelihood. Thanks for showing us pics of them. That's the first Cayuga I ever saw, though I do have a female and male pair of Rouens who pal around with a single chocolate runner duck. Meanwhile, my couple of black/splash Swedish + single Gold Hybrid duck pal around with the geese flock. It fascinates me how predictable they are in their choices of who to hang out with.

5. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Thanks for your replies and for identifying my ducks. The Cayuga really does show her green sheen when she's in the sunlight. I'm a bit confused by the Rouen though... because if it's a she, "her" quack is SO different from the Cayuga. The Cayuga has the loud very definite QUACK of a female. I thought that drakes had the raspy, quieter quack... which is exactly what the Rouen (?) sounds like.

Whatever they are, I'm so glad we went back for them. I can't imagine not having them and they get along well with the chickens!

6. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    Hi, your ducks are very pretty. We have six ducks and the all sound different, females and males. The White Pekin is the loudest and by far the most talkative. Also the ringleader. Our cayuga is a drake so he is raspy and quiet. We have both a drake and hen rouen and they sound different too, of course but they are much quieter than our Pekin and cayuga. Our blue swedish are by the quietest and also get bullied the most.

7. OzarkCountryGirl

OzarkCountryGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ozark Highlands
    Ours were too. I bought some Welsh Harlequin ducklings from a hatchery (trying to get new blood...lesson learned) and almost half turned out to be the Blue Swedish (one was a Splash!). But since I'm concentrating on the Harlequins, I was able to find a good home for the Blues with someone who already had a couple of Blue Swedes and was happy to have more. [​IMG]

momma's chickens :

Our blue swedish are by the quietest and also get bullied the most.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by