Duckoholics Anonymous

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by muslw4, Aug 8, 2011.

1. muslw4

muslw4 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    I think I need to join Duckoholics anonymous! I ordered 5 ducks from Metzer, my first. (due to arrive the week of Aug. 22) they aren't even here and I'm already thinking of other ducks I want. There's like 7....or is it 8 other breeds I would like. and then you can't have just one of each breed right? After all there's all the different colors.... I also have 9 chickens and keep thinking of other breeds to try and how to enlarge the chicken house or what I can use for shelters...and and and
    Has anyone else found themselves in this predicament? What do you do? I can't stop the madness!

2. njduck

njduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    I bought 20 ducklngs 1 day just because they were a good price.

3. lovesgliders

lovesgliders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    Maine
    I only have three ducks but want about 5459863j7 more. LOL

But I keep reminding myself that the more ducks I have, the less personal attention each gets (mine are pets, eggs are just a nice side bonus) and the grosser the pool gets faster. Seems to keep it under control!

4. muslw4

May 7, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    Quote:Good point. that's what I keep telling myself too. I had the same problem with rabbits. Now I have 7 but it's going to stay 7 or less.

5. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    My very first post was about how addicting they can be and are! I just ordered TEN Anconas and am wanting more already, and they aren't even here! I want at least 3 of each kind!!! I seriously am addicted......or, aduckted as my neighbor said to me one day!

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I'm with lovesgliders fewer ducks, better quality time.

BUT

I have nine now, and after a year and a half, I think a dozen would be a good number, give or take three. Next year.

7. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    <<<Crazy duck lady [​IMG] I am expecting my last duckling shipment at the end of the month and I already have my deposit in for my Holderread order next year [​IMG] In my defense they only sell straight run so I have to order enough to at least get a couple females [​IMG]

8. muslw4

May 7, 2011
    Northern Illinois
    aineheartsyou , Your in Boise? I was born there. Someday want to move back. I love Idaho.
    I keep going back to Holderread's website. Come on silky ducks...I am definitely going to place my next duck order with them. I jus wish they had Anconas. THe only other place I've found with Anconas has minimum order of 15. Although I could probably sell the ones I don't want. the trouble is once I have them I probably would want them! lol I'm hoping I'll find an Ancona at the swap. also a buff also a saxony... It's hopeless.

9. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    Boondockers sells Anconas....they have an order minimum of 10....that held me back for a couple of minutes, but they should be here by the end of August.

10. aineheartsyou

aineheartsyou Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Dixie, WA
    Quote:Yup, Boise, We like it but it isnt "home" we hope to move back to the Walla Walla valley in the next year or two. I have two silky ducks and I LOVE them!!! I am getting 15 more next year [​IMG] I hope to have a couple lil flocks of silkies, runners and anconas. I am hoping I can get lucky enough to get 4-8 females of each.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by