Ducks 101 - new babies will be here this week - help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NellaBean, May 16, 2010.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I have 12 new ducklings coming this week from Metzer Farms, 4 Welsh Harlequin and 8 Indian Runners (Choc, Blue, Black and fawn/white). I have never had ducklings before! Just chickens.

I plan on giving them Flock Raiser..........what else do I need to do? I am going to make them a special food/water station so they can have bowls for water and food and not destroy their brooder.

My 2 big questions.....how long until I can let them swim in the bathtub for a short time? And how soon can I feed them green veggies? Like peas or mixed greens? Or sprouts..I have tons of sprouts from the Farmers Market.

Other than that I figure they are similar to chickens. Shavings, heat lamp, food, water and loooove [​IMG]

2. Neilette

Neilette Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Niacin. Ducklings need a niacin supplement if you're feeding them chicken feed.

3. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I feed my ducklings chick starter. They do pretty well on it, and have lots of water for them, they really love water! I wouldn't let them swim for a few weeks, then you can put them in the tub with a few inches of water, increase the water as they get bigger. only let them swim a short time, and then back under the light to dry off. they are so much fun!!

4. jujubean99

jujubean99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    I am also new to ducklings. I have 3 1 month olds and 9 2 week olds. Mine all swam at about 4 days, maybe this was too early. I filled up my sink about 3 inches with warm water and let them go for supervised swims for about 5 minutes at a time. I don't know if this was too early, but they were always trying to swim in their water dish and I felt sorry for them [​IMG] I ordered my new 9 from holderreads and they said to give them greens at 1 day old. They said chop it up really small, less than a quarter inch, and put it in their water. The duckies loved it! Hope this helps!

5. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    1 week is fine.....my boyfriend is coming for a visit when they are about a week old and i wanted to let them swim so he could watch [​IMG]

As far as niacin......I bought some brewers yeast the other day and it says it includes niacin. Do i need straight niacin also?

6. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by