1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Ducks 5mths Old 1st Egg Already?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by FunnyBunnies12, Aug 28, 2010.

1. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Songster

We got some ducklings April 1, probably only a couple days old at the time. Well, yesterday morning I woke up to see 1 egg on the blanket in our shower stall down in our basement. I brought the ducks outside where they stay and put the egg in a dog igloo with straw, they do go in it. She hasn't laid any more since then, she hasn't gotten aggressive or protective of it either, the male certainly is territorial and agressive if we get close. We were in Canada on vacation for 2wks, we've been home now for 3 and get this surprise. They were locked up together the whole time with a kiddy pool in their enclosure. What is the likelihood this egg is viable and she will lay more since every 1-2 days they lay. Are they to young? The male definitely has mated with her several times at 1st I thought it was dominence/practice. Well I guess they perfected it. I've never own ducks before so any suggestions or advice I would truly appreciate. My sons, 12 & 10 don't want me to take the egg. I'm sure next spring it will be the real deal, but is this or could this be the real deal? And how long before I should remove the egg if she doesn't lay any more? It does seem small, but then again, what do I know. HELP!

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Most likely not. The first couple of eggs are most of the time infertile, even with drake fun happening. Plus ducks build a cluster before they go broody and sit on it. She may not even go broody, due to her young age. Also young ducks have the tendency to be bad moms, again due to their age. It's best to wait until the following year before you let her sit on the eggs. Also winter is close and you have to think in terms of 4 months (that includes incubation) before they ducks are technically ready for winter. In my point of view it is a bad idea for now.

3. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Songster

That is what my friend thought as well, go and take the egg away. I have 2 different breed ducks, a Indian Runner(male) and Roen(female) at least I believe it's a Roen, she looks like a female Mallard, and she was born with a birth defect, one leg stays up to her side. My son saw her at a farm store and just had to save her. She's a real sweetheart of a girl, the male he's just down right getting temperamental around his territory. Just for the fact of their age, and her birth defect I don't think it is going to be viable. But my kids want to "wait and see." Mixed feelings here! I think if no other eggs are laid in a week and she doesn't lay on this one, then I will no it is no good. Females are pretty protective of their nests aren't they? However, she did rustle the straw around the egg, and buried it under the straw then right out in the open the way I had it when I placed it in there. So, I guess we'll see.

4. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Songster

Well, so far no egg has been laid and she is carrying on like nothing ever happened. Is it typical for males to be more territorial and aggressive then females? He certainly is protective of her and their territory. I'm kind of bummed but not surprised. But my gut still is saying to just wait. Or maybe it's my boys 10 & 12 who don't want me removing it and it's that motherly guilt. They want me to go out and buy a incubator and egg turner for 1 egg. I may eventually have to now that I know I have a ducks that aren't the same gender. But they are fun, except when the male goes after me and my boys. It hurts getting bit/pinched, I try not to react so he doesn't think he's getting the best of me, but after so many pinches, and a ear grab or pulling my hair, then I have to react.

Any other words of advice?

5. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Songster

[​IMG] I'm really at a loss on what she is doing, just going through the motions, or is she preparing to brood, or what. She hasn't carried hay or anything but she has her spot picked out and she has wrestled the hay somewhat to that spot. Is that part of nesting? This morning she was out of the igloo for awhile but now she is in the dog igloo by the egg she laid 2 days ago and isn't coming out and she is actually sitting on it, not sure if she is getting ready to lay more, or what is happening, but I know the male is gaurding the entrance to the igloo and being protective. This is all new to me and honest I'd love to see this be successful but I'm also being realistic that it may not be considering their age and inexperience.

6. FunnyBunnies12

FunnyBunnies12 Songster

[​IMG] I think something might be happening, I was watching her and she was burying herself into more of a bowl shape in the hay where the egg is laying and looking uncomfortable and was doing a wiggly, butt raising movement for a bit as if she was trying to push out something, and she is just sitting there not coming out. I'm just waiting to see if she laid another 1 or 2.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by