Ducks a good idea?

Hi! I'm pretty new to duck raising too, but I've spent the last couple of months researching it, and I hope I can help you a bit. I'm also currently brooding two ducklings, so I can tell you a little about what to expect from young ducks.

I can tell you for sure that ducklings are absolutely adorable. They are also pretty messy. Ducks like water, and unless you set up your brooder just right, it's going to be really, really, messy. If you do go the route of trying out a couple, you can minimize mess by separating their water and food, first. Ducks do need water to properly digest their feed. Also, you can place their waterer on a raised platform with a grating on top to allow you to collect the water they inevitably splash everywhere - I suggest using a paint pan and bucket roller pan that fits inside it. We used a variation of hardware cloth and an old ice tray, and it's kept their bedding pretty fresh for several days. I've also seen others use chick feeders to keep ducklings from slinging water everywhere. From experience, you will need to change/replenish their water every day because it will get cloudy from their feed and they will drink a lot of it. And they can't dry out! I forgot to replenish their water one day before work, and the poor things were miserable when I got back to them.

I could go on, but because I'm still new I hesitate to really go further with what all I've read. I'd suggest the Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks because it's pretty much been my bible of duck raising. I can't tell you whether or not ducks are a good idea for you or not, but I can tell you that my husband and I really enjoy keeping them.

Hi! I'm pretty new to duck raising too, but I've spent the last couple of months researching it, and I hope I can help you a bit. I'm also currently brooding two ducklings, so I can tell you a little about what to expect from young ducks.

I can tell you for sure that ducklings are absolutely adorable. They are also pretty messy. Ducks like water, and unless you set up your brooder just right, it's going to be really, really, messy. If you do go the route of trying out a couple, you can minimize mess by separating their water and food, first. Ducks do need water to properly digest their feed. Also, you can place their waterer on a raised platform with a grating on top to allow you to collect the water they inevitably splash everywhere - I suggest using a paint pan and bucket roller pan that fits inside it. We used a variation of hardware cloth and an old ice tray, and it's kept their bedding pretty fresh for several days. I've also seen others use chick feeders to keep ducklings from slinging water everywhere. From experience, you will need to change/replenish their water every day because it will get cloudy from their feed and they will drink a lot of it. And they can't dry out! I forgot to replenish their water one day before work, and the poor things were miserable when I got back to them.

I could go on, but because I'm still new I hesitate to really go further with what all I've read. I'd suggest the Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks because it's pretty much been my bible of duck raising. I can't tell you whether or not ducks are a good idea for you or not, but I can tell you that my husband and I really enjoy keeping them.
This is really helpful! Thank you:)

IMG_0239.JPG
You can make water dishes like the ones I use?..I love Ducks. They are entertaining Birds. They are messy and poop lots. They drill holes and noodle everything in your yard..They love kiddie pools to swim in..
I can't imagine life without Ducks...

View attachment 1291608 You can make water dishes like the ones I use?..I love Ducks. They are entertaining Birds. They are messy and poop lots. They drill holes and noodle everything in your yard..They love kiddie pools to swim in..
I can't imagine life without Ducks...
I like this!! I'm using a chick watered for my week old ducks right now.. they tend to stomp in it and dump water everywhere with it.

Ducks are a wonderful idea! I am a little biased. I just love ducks so much. We had ducks a few years ago and are trying it our again now. They need to have water avalable when they eat anf they need to have water to dip their head and bill in to keep it clear from food and debris. They are so fun to watch and so adorable. They are great foragers and keep the bug population down. I have discovered that many people do not know this. Make sure they have a safe enclosed space. Covered in hardware cloth to keep them safe from predators. They need a heat lamp when they are young. I read everything I can find about them so that is what I would advise.

IMG_0227.JPG
That’s what we’re using with our ducks too, and we’ve experienced the same thing. We’re going to try using a milk jug that’s had a hole cut out to try to help minimize the splashing. But we may try your method too, chickens really.
I also use this when Bigger Ducklings..

Back
Top Bottom