Ducks acting weird.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ohiofarmboy, Dec 28, 2012.

1. ohiofarmboy

ohiofarmboy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 28, 2012
    south west ohio
    I have a pekin duck who isnt acting normal. We got a snow a few days ago and she hid in a little cave-like space under the snow after the pond froze over. She hasn't been eating or drinking anything that I know of. I put come corn and water out for her but she still won't eat or drink. When I go out to the pond she would usualy try to stay away from me such as going to the other side of the pond but now she barely moves. I do not have a coop for her but I did build a small shelter out of cement blocks, rocks, and dry grss for a roof and bedding. During the summer I fed her corn with pellets there but she never stays in it. I hope that this is normal and that she isn't sick. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Ducks can survive in many different climates but in cold and snow, they need shelter. If your duck is off of it's feed in the type of weather that you describe, there is a problem. Typically, in the winter, they would eat more, not less or not at all.

If it were me, I would bring the duck inside and put it in a warm area with some high quality feed and water. Corn is not a complete feed but a supplement.

You will need to build some type of a shelter that provides protection from snow and drafts. It needs to remain dry. If you have never had the duck in any type of a shelter, you will likely need to catch it and lock it up for a while so that it knows where home is and that it is safe. At this time of year, a duck that is outside without secure shelter, is most likely going to wind up a meal for something.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I agree with jdywntr.

4. ohiofarmboy

Dec 28, 2012
    south west ohio
    I have some pellets that are meant for chicken and ducks. Should I feed them that full time? I have been mixing that with the corn. Is that fine?

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would give them at least 80% balanced pellets, and go sparingly with the corn. Corn is for calories only, during cold weather, so perhaps we could think of it like butter on a whole wheat muffin. The muffin has loads of nutrition (at least, mine do) and the butter is tasty and rich.

All kinds of strange things happen with ducks' health when they are fed too much corn (or other high-calorie, low-nutrition food).

Are the pellets layer pellets or grower, or what?

6. ohiofarmboy

Dec 28, 2012
    south west ohio
    I went outside today and found her swimming with her friend in a hole in the ice! I tossed out some feed to them and they were eating! She seems to be back to normal! I haven't looked at the feed label yet but will get back to you soon. Would it still be necessary to lock her in the shelter?

7. ohiofarmboy

Dec 28, 2012
    south west ohio
  8. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Morning,

What I meant about 80% is I would give them at least 4 parts pelleted feed to one part anything else, including corn. And less corn might be better. It's something each of us decides either on our own after reading, or after discussing it on the forum.

Here is an example of a thread about feeding Nutrena.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/556806/nutrena-naturewise-all-flock

See if that helps. There are many such threads in the archives, I did a search on "ducks nutrena" and this is just one of the results.

Glad she seems better! I would watch her closely. Ducks hide illness very well. Bring her in if she seems to get puny again. Warmth frees up energy for healing.

9. ohiofarmboy

Dec 28, 2012
    south west ohio
    Good news!!!!!!! Today when I went outside I found them in the shelter I built them! Is still eating and doing fine! I now have her on one part pellets one part corn and I am going to soon put here on the 80% balanced like you said. I plan on making them a regular coop this spring!

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good. 80% would be four parts pellets one part corn. I feel that more balanced ration, less corn would help.

Glad to read the good news! Keep those duckies safe!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by