1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks acting weird

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mumma duck, Jan 29, 2014.

1. mumma duck

mumma duck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hi all my 4 campbells are about 5 months old and recently I saw one of them in their pool flatten her body out and another one stood on her back and grabbed her neck with her beak. I got scared she was going to drown her or was attacking her or something so I shoed her off now I notice all of them do it at different times of the day. .Sometimes in water sometimes not. The one underneath doesn't seem to mind and the one on top bobs her head up and down. These are my first ducks and I don't know much about duck behavior but I would guess it looks like something to do with mating however we were told they are all girls? Can anyone explain this odd ritual?

2. creaturelife

creaturelife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    umm i got a feeling you got some boys in with the girl and what they are doing is mating watch the next time they do it and look at the back where the pop comes out and if you have a boy a penis will come out and you will see it can we see some pics

1 person likes this.
  3. aaajjss1

aaajjss1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    San Diego Ca
    My females do this sometimes too. It mimics mating don't worry they are fine

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Spring is in the air, they are following their hormones.

5. mumma duck

mumma duck Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2013
    Melbourne, Australia
    Thanks heaps ill stop worrying now. Im pretty sure they are female they don't seem to have any distinct male features and they all have been on top of the others at one time or another [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by