Ducks and a Goose?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kiery1105, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Kiery1105

Kiery1105 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2010
    Is it okay to have only one goose in a flock of ten ducks? Or should I get a companion?

2. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    i have one goose and four ducks- i am sure she would like another goose, but so far i don't think she is having a problem- she grew up with them, she does [​IMG] my hubby though- too funny and the drake treats her like one of his girls

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I currently have one goose in with my flock of ducks. Max has grown up around the ducks- and I dont think she sees herself as any different. Although still only 3 months old she is very motherly to them all. She is a little noisey- but doenst seem to lonely for her own kind at all. I guess it would all depend on the temperament of the goose- but for me it is working fine. Come spring- things may change. We have her hear as my daughter wanted one for the 2011 show season. So by next summer ( Australian summer ) She will be back out on a farm somewhere with her own kind again. Geese will mate for life- so it would be nice for you to have a pair if your situation allows for it.

4. Kiery1105

Kiery1105 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2010
    I've decided to get two geese, a buff and a tufted buff. They're both straight run so I'm not sure what genders I'm going to get, but I just want them to get along.

5. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, for example. I had one guinea, and 4 turkeys, and the guinea was always with the turkeys, and then I got some extra guineas and the orignial guinea that was always with the turkeys forgot all about the turkeys and went with the guinea.

Im sure the goose is fine with the ducks, but would prefer a goose friend to talk all the gossip about ducks. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by