Ducks and a pool?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chickschool, Jul 22, 2011.

1. chickschool

chickschool Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    Can I let my ducks swim in our pool? Will the chemicals harm them?

2. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

I use to let mine swim in the pool now and then, not sure if it's good for egg laying. Mine were pets. [​IMG]

3. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    I'm not worried about eggs. They haven't even begun to lay yet (they are only 4 months old). I just think they might really enjoy swimming in something larger than their kiddie pool. Any thoughts about poop? I recently saw some pics on BYC with some VERY COOL chickens swimming in a pool (who knew) and one of the things they mentioned was that one pooped and they shocked the pool and added extra chlorine... Is it just me or is it really not that big a deal. Where talking about 44,000 gallons of water, chemicals, and a filtration system vs. 1 or 2 tiny little droppings.

4. chickschool

Mar 5, 2011
    Traverse City, MI
    If the ducks drink the water will it hurt them?

5. sianara

sianara Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2007
    Central MA
    It might not hurt them if they only did it once or even twice but I would advise against letting them regularly swim in a pool that has chemicals in it.

Pool chemicals aren't meant to be ingested by humans or animals and we all know ducks drink everything liquid that's within their reach [​IMG]. (not to mention the total yuck factor of the waste they leave behind...)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by