1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks and Antibiotics-- HELP!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by itsmyaddiction, Jul 12, 2009.

1. itsmyaddiction

itsmyaddiction Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2009
    I have a friend who has a duckling in with her chickens. Long story short, the chickens have a respiratory infection and duck is not showing any signs/symptoms (yet). What do you suggest for a medication/antibiotic for ducks?? I know they are not supposed to have medicated feed etc.... so how do you treat a sick duck safely?
    Thanks in advance
    H.

2. ExpLo721

ExpLo721 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2009
    Chicago/Montgomery
    I would you suggest that you ask this question to a vet. Besides you can't get ahold of antibiotics yourself without going throgh a vet.

3. itsmyaddiction

May 17, 2009
    Quote:There's many forms of meds that you can buy in feed stores, I work in one and we carry poultry medications. Thank you though.

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

I don't know about ducks but in humans you don't want to give antibiotics as a precautionary measure. I think I've read something similar considering waterfowl, but with all the duck stuff I've read recently, I could be wrong. Hopefully someone else will pipe up.

5. froggie71

froggie71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Shamong, NJ
    There are few antibiotics that can be safely given to ducks. If the duck is not showing any symptoms of respiratory problems, then I would not treat. If however it is showing symptoms such as wheezing terramycin or agramycin or bayril are antibiotic that are safe for ducks. This however is just guessing, because you don't know what is causing the problem. I safely and successfully treated a duckling with wheezing in the fall. It was before she started laying eggs though. I used terramycin which I was told was being replaced with agramycin. You can get these in the feed store. Good luck to your friends duck.

6. itsmyaddiction

May 17, 2009
    Thank you SO much, Froggie! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by