Ducks and cat-food

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WannaBeHillBilly, Jun 17, 2019.

1. WannaBeHillBilly

WannaBeHillBilly Crossing the Road

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    Hi friends,
    I like to do something about my Duckies meal-worm addiction and thought about offering then some cat-food instead. So during the weekend shopping tour I found myself first in a Walmart, then in a Kroger in front of a large shelf with dozens of different types of cat food, unable to decide what to buy...
    Has anybody fed cat food to their ducks and what kind of food have you used?
    I wasn't aware that cats have so many choices!

2. Duckworth

Duckworth Songster

May 15, 2017
    U.S. Prairie
    I have supplemented their feed during winter molts with a little dry kitten food. The kibble is smaller in size. I just go with the hard dry stuff. They love it. My ducks get lots of flies and other insects for added protein during warmer months, so I don’t usually supplement then.

3. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Chicken Lover, Duck Therapist

Mar 11, 2017
    South Park, Colorado, USA
    Some cats are picky eaters, some people spoil their cats, there are lots of varieties :gig. My ducks eat the leftover Friskies that my kitties spill or the flavors they don't like. I don't really buy any specifically for the ducks, but they will eat it.

4. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    I just get the Aldi brand dry cat food. I only give a 1/2 handful if that in the summer time but a bit more in the winter. They must like it because it's always gone.

casportpony and WannaBeHillBilly like this.
  5. WannaBeHillBilly

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    My duck and have a meal-worm ritual every morning: I let them out of the house, they all run quacking and wing-flapping to our patio and wait for me to feed them some meal-worms. I started this to gain their trust and so far it worked great, most of them don't mind to be touched by me anymore and a few even tried to hop into my lap.
    It's just that meal-worms are quite expensive in the long run (have not mastered to grow them yet) and i like to offer the ducks some different tasting stuff too. Amazon may run out of meal-worms some time…

6. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    my babies LOVE LOVE LOVE them. I bought them one of those yellow crack balls and when they see it they attack with a vengence! I literally can't stand to touch the nasty things, they creep me out plus they stink!

7. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Tossing peas is cheap. I don't buy mealworms ever. I give dry cat food during a molt and only a couple of times a week.

8. WannaBeHillBilly

Sep 2, 2018
    Big Chimney, WV
    My Coop
    By accident i bought black fly larvae once - those stink - compared to them meal-worms smell delicious! I got used to hand feeding the worms, they're dead and neither bite nor crawl over me and i can wash my hands after the duck-experience.

9. FluffTheDuck

FluffTheDuck Duck love is recognizable in any language

Nov 26, 2018
    AL
    My Coop
    I’ve never tried any of these treats, I’ll get my ducks hooked on.

10. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Me either, :wootmine eat feed and don't know when a treat is coming?...

WannaBeHillBilly likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: