Ducks and cats

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ambiguity, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Ambiguity

Ambiguity Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Michigan
    Five weeks ago I aquired some pekin/rouen mixes and the plan had been to let them forage about my yard. But I began to wonder could my cats take on the ducks and would they? I was hoping that some of you might have info on the matter as I look into what type of enclosure to build the little creatures.

Also another quick question on sexing them, since they are crossbreeds can I assume that the ones with the greenish black feathers on there heads will be drakes or is that lost in the fact that they are mutts?

Thanks so much.

2. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    when i first got chickens i was concerned about this as well. my cats were large but very much still in the kitten stage. i spent a few minutes with them when i released the chickens and if one of the cats prowled or tried to creep up on or pounce on a chicken i would spray it with a waterhose. years later my cats will lunge at a chicken once in a while but they are just playing. (they are actually scared of the birds). so as with any animal you just need to spend some time introducing them.

3. Deedee

Deedee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    Kilgore, TX
    I have 4 cats and i thought i was going to have a problem with them trying to get my ducklings. I constantly stood watch for weeks, while they were in the brooder. By accident my husband had left one in the house on morning with just the ducklings and the cat.

When I had got home i freaked just waiting to find the massacure,but they were all fine. The cat never even tried.

Now since my 4 olest ducklings are out side in the run/ house. My cats are almost like they are guarding them.

My 2 baby duckling spend most of the day outside their brooder playing in the kitchen and the actually chase and want to play with the cats, but the cats just run from them. It quite funny. [​IMG]

4. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    My ducks have foraged my yard now for about a week. My biggest fear were the neighbor cats. Today I let them be out while I was at work because I've had no cats try to jump the fence or even get close. I came home and they were all just happy as larks, or ducks ;-) I'm wondering if the size of ducks might intimidate cats. They are about the same size.

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    since they are crossbreeds can I assume that the ones with the greenish black feathers on there heads will be drakes

Most likely those will be drakes.

could my cats take on the ducks and would they

Depends on the size of the cat and the size of the duck. My 2 female cats are kind of small. They are afraid of the ducks. My male cat is young, healthy and very strong. He thought he was a badass when the ducks got here. Our khaki hen chased him when he tried to stalk them and kept him trapped under a wheelbarrow until hubby rescued him [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by