Ducks and Chickens and Other Questions From Duck Newbie

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Peep-Chicken, Mar 14, 2017.

1. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    I have one duck and 12 chickens. When the duck and her two chicken friends are old enough to go out, the duck can just live right with the chickens right? Will she know to go in the coop?(there is a run so she won't be able to wander off, I just don't want her to freeze if she camps outside) Will she just sleep on the coop floor? Does she need another duck?
    I will have a warmed bucket for when it's cold so she can clean her face.

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    My ducks do live with a bunch of my chickens, they just sleep in a corner of the coop. Do make sure your coop is big enough so they can sleep somewhere other than under the chickens roosting bars. If they are forced to sleep under there, they will constantly be covered in poop, which, of course, is very bad for their health. Usually mine are very good at going in every night, but every now and again they will decide to hang out outside, and i have to herd them in...ducks are easy to herd though :)

Now, about there being only one duck...i would say you do need at least one more duck. Ducks and chickens can totally get along together, but they really don't become friends. Your duck will be extremely lonely if he doesn't have anyone to talk to and sleep with. In my big coop, even though i have ducks (domestic and muscovy), geese, and chickens, i basically have four different flocks. They tend to keep with their own kind, and don't really intermingle except at the food and water places. Or if one of them decides to be a jerk and bug the others. So, long story short, lol, please get another duck. Yours will be much happier for it.

Oh, yes, those warmed buckets are a lifesaver when it comes to ducks and geese. I have done many winter without them, and breaking ice every couple hours is not my favorite thing to do. Those buckets are totally worth the initial investment.

Well, good luck with your little friends!

1 person likes this.
  3. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

I agree with @cityfarmer12. You should get another duck friend for her, or better yet, get two more in case something happens to one of them then you won't have just one lonely duck. (Also because more ducks = happiness.)

4. Ducks4us

Ducks4us Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    North Idaho
    I would certainly get another duck or two. Most say 3 is best, they become very bonded and that way if something happens to one there will not be one left alone.

5. Peep-Chicken

Peep-Chicken Overrun With Chickens

Jun 10, 2013
    Michigan
    My Coop
    Yes my coop will be big enough.
    Thanks for the response! Very helpful. :)

Thank you both.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by