Ducks and Chickens Housed Together

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ThreeCreeks, Jun 30, 2016.

1. ThreeCreeks

ThreeCreeks New Egg

Jun 30, 2016
    We have always raised chickens and with my newest batch, I also grabbed 5 ducks. I currently have them all in the same yard. I've been cooping them separate at night due to room but was going to move them to a bigger yard with the larger coop to house together.
    I was discouraged by someone to do so because she said the male duck would attempt to mate with my hens and kill them. (Apparently hers did this) Is this common? Any advice?
  2. Clucking Lovely

Clucking Lovely Just Hatched

Jun 22, 2016
    Quebec, Canada
    I'm far from any kind of expert, but I've never heard of this... It's concerning for me also as I have 4 ducklings with my hens... I can see how a male duck could potentially stress a hen, but to the point of killing it? Seems extreme, but not impossible.

I have to keep my hens separated from the ducklings right now because my ladies are a little on the rough side. They pick on the ducklings. I'm waiting for the ducks to get a bit bigger to atleast give them a chance to defend themselves - or get away from the bullies!
  3. Amber83

Amber83 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    It's the duck's anatomy that kills them. The male duck's penis is like a corkscrew and has been known to tear apart a chicken if he attempts to mate with it. I have a friend that had this problem with his, but I have also had ducks and chickens in the same yard without incident.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by