ducks and chickens - sharing food

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by upriver, Aug 9, 2010.

1. upriver

upriver Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Hello-

We have some ducks and chickens living in peace. I am wondering, though, for optimal nutrition for the birds, how to feed them together. We have a long "chicken moat" run around a garden with a chicken coop on one end and a duck house on the other. They occasionally go back and forth, but they largely stay on their own ends of things and eat appropriately from their respective feeders containing respective food. HOWEVER-- two of the hens (who were picked on by the main flock) choose to stay near the ducks and eat the ducks food. One of them seems to have stopped laying as a result, although the other one continues. We use a local organic laying mash from a feed store for the chickens and a "water fowl/poultry" product from the same company for the ducks. They like each others food alright, but is the nutrition adequate for the chickens? They also eat plenty of bugs and a fair bit of fresh garden scraps we throw at them (bolted lettuce, herbs, etc)

Thanks for any tips!

2. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    I don't think the hen stopped laying because of the duck feed, the heat proubly got to her.

3. Chicken Ma

Chicken Ma Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    El Sobrante
    I've had ducks for years and added chickens a year or two ago. Have always fed my ducks the Layena mash and they've all lived to be over 15 yrs. old. So when I got the chickens, just continued to feed the Layena, but in a separate bowl, since the ducks always would get it wet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by