Ducks and Chickens. So much hate.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cluckcluckluke, Jan 8, 2013.

1. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Why do my chickens dislike my ducks so. They are petrified of them and the ducks don't seem to care about them can I help them become friends or will my efforts be futile.

2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA

I'm smiling as I write[​IMG]. I think the old addage "birds of a feather flock together" applies here. Those ducks are quite quackers and if they are like ours, super friendly. Well, chickens don't make a similar noise, don't walk the same Don't go around playing tag your it the same, and they won't walk in a line behind the leader etc. Unless the ducks are "beating" up or overly friendly with your poultry, you have full grown ducks with very young poultry or small poultry - like bantams over friendly, I wouldn't worry too much as long as there is ample space so the chickens can get to food and walk around etc. IF you have too many duck boys, there could be issues, so I would say if anything make sure mostly girl ducks with your poultry and that you are not keeping bantam or smaller sized young poultry with them. Come spring, those drakes can get too friendly. Hope this helps!

3. cluckcluckluke

ahah, this is great. I only have 2 Runner ducks (no drakes). I have them will chicks and adult fowls also with bantams, so unless there is any fighting they will just stick to them selves.

4. Hishigata

Hishigata Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    I had a flock of 3 hens and a rooster a while back. One winter a Muscovy duck came to stay. I don't know if she was lost or overly exhausted but she over wintered at the farm. She was very sweet and would sometimes try to join the flock but the rooster would always chase her off. I don't know why ducks and chickens cannot be friends. Ducks seem willing to be friends but chickens are just species-ist. The duck eventually left in early spring. She flew up to the house porch one morning, looked at me, wagged her tail and then flew away.

5. cluckcluckluke

Aww that's a great story I like it, has she been back since. It would great if she came back every year with some friend of her own.lol.
    Yeah my ducks where interested with the hens but they would just run away I also reckon the are specie-ist. I don't understand why they don't mingle though, it's not like they are completely different in looks.

6. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a lone drake and him and my rooster are buddies......The drake even stands guard while my hens lay. However, I have a feeling this will change once he gets his own ladies :)

7. Hishigata

Hishigata Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2012
    No, She did not come back in subsequent years. Hopefully she rejoined her flock and lived happily ever after. I think chickens dislike other birds in general. My current flock chases other birds out of the yard. If a dove or sparrow gets too close they go into attack mode. They flatten out their bodies and run like little heat seeking missiles at the intruders.

8. cluckcluckluke

Hopefully. Yeah my chickens almost take pleasure in chasing of magpies and pigeons but it's funny how they accept Frizzles, Cochins and Malays which to me look completely different to an "average" looking fowl. I guess I will just have to wait if anything improves.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by