1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ducks and chickens together, if you have done this before, please tell me how?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Oceanseve, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Oceanseve

Oceanseve Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    There is tons of conflicting opinions on how to handle humidity and temp when hatching chickens and ducks together. If you've done it before would you tell me exactly what you did?

2. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Well, I'm sure you know this, but make sure to put the duck eggs in the incubator a week before the chicken eggs. As far as humidity goes, some people have said that they put the water in as usual and take a spray bottle and mist the duck eggs. I haven't been doing this, but it would probably still help you :D

3. Oceanseve

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    I'm thinking I'm going to set them all at the same time and then move the chickens to a hatcher (what hatcher? I have 18 days to figure that out :p) They were shipped on monday, so I'm already three days down at best. I feel like I'll have better odds if I get them in sooner than later.

I have a LG still air with turner. So here are my plans: Temp is fluctuating from 100 to 99.5. Humidity is between 55 and 60, at 18 days I'm going to move the chicks to my currently non existant hatcher and up humidity to 70-75, at 23 days (with my new chicks peeping at me in the background hopefully) I will move the duck eggs to the hatcher and up humidity to 75-80. Does this sound like the right way to go?

4. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    I wouldn't move the duck eggs at day 23 though. I'd move them on day 25 and increase humidity then- unless they are Muscovies, ducks take ~ 28 days to hatch. I've done it the other way- duck eggs in a week before the chicken eggs, then on day 7, add the chicken eggs, on day 18 for chickens and day 25 for ducks, increase humidity for them all. They can hatch together then. I also misted my duck eggs daily when I did that. Good Luck!

5. Oceanseve

May 23, 2008
    Guthrie, OK
    Yes, thanks for correcting me, I guess I was focusing on three days till hatch and typed a 3 instead of a 5. I have the instructions written correctly on the fridge just in case something were to happen and the task fall to DH. He would need written instructions [​IMG]

chickenlisa - would you do the latter, set the duck eggs then the chicks on shipped eggs, like I said if I wait a week at best they'd be 10 days old, maybe more if they were collected over the weekend.

6. Ilovemyduckies

Ilovemyduckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2012
    Yes like they said, move the duck eggs at day 25, the rest sounds okay. Good luck :D

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by