Ducks and Chickens Together??

JustMarie

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 20, 2010
NE Georgia
So i hope someone can help me with this. I have 6 RIRs and 2 mallard ducks. My female duck does GREAT with the chickens, the problem is my drake. He has been seen "pecking" at the girls, not enough to pull feathers or hurt yet. My mom told me this morning that he was putting his head on their back, like he was trying to mount them i guess. I've read that drakes can kill chickens but i thought it was only during breeding season. I didnt think id have to worry about it til they got older since their only 12 weeks right now. So my question is, do i need to keep him in the pen by himself or does he have to go??????
sad.png

I have had a similar problem. I have two six week old female ducklings that i have tried to introduce into my chicken coop. They were fine the first two days and then on the third day, my hens started attacking my little babies. Is this normal? And will they ever be able to coexist in the same pen
Help me
sad.png

I just re-started my whole duck flock.My brother gave me 2 mallard drakes last Nov that just showed up at his house.I didnt have much problem with them until we bought ducklings in Late Feb .They were very agressive with them at fist.They would chase my one pair Of new columbian Wyandottes I had gotten to:hmmnce We got the graduated duck's out after a week or so they were fine.I Had a crazy NN Rooster last year that constantly chased my ducks and tried to mate them as well LOL.Im sure they will be fine but if get's too agressive just pen him up for a while.I have 25 ducks free ranging now and they sleep in horse stall with some birds but they are around my bantam ones that free range untill breeding age and they don't bother anything.

we have 4 ducks (1 male) and 24 hens... the drake mounts the hens rather often but, to date, there has been no damage to anyone. he's just happen that spring is upon us, i guess.

I have three RIR hens, one rooster and two Pekin ducks together. The ducks must be male because they are all but killing my hens - I guess trying to mount them. I am currently looking for a female duck(s) to see if that stops the problem otherwise I am going to seperate them. If I were you I would seperate them ASAP. My poor hens can't even walk around in the yard they have to hide from the ducks.

I, personally, haven't ever had a problem with them being together. I actually have two of my drakes separate until I can figure out what to do with them because they are beating up on the duck hens. Now they cohabit with the almost fourty chickens perfectly. I have a Don Juan Pekin whom I've named Barry White
cool.png
, because he keeps trying to rape my mallard hens... the only problem is that he is waaaaaaay too big and just ends up humping the ground about 6 inches behind them while pulling all the feathers out of the back of their heads...
roll.png
I think that my chickens are agressive enough to handle themselves, and haven't any problem whatsoever with mixing the species, all my boys are just too rough on their own girls. My chicken hens are being overmounted by one of my roosters, so I'm going to have to cull one of them.

Back
Top Bottom