Ducks and Chickens together??

wbmom09

In the Brooder
7 Years
Feb 26, 2012
Hi all,
I'm new to raising chickens and ducks and have been reading many books and researching here on BYC for a few weeks now.
I recently got 4 chickens and 2 ducks. Their all growing like weeds and my husband and I are getting the coop ready. I was wondering if the chickens and ducks can be in the coop together at night? I'm going to let the chickens free range during the day and the ducks can spend time in the ponds and go about their business as well but I know they both need cover and protection at night. Is it possible for them to sleep in the same house? They all get along now really well. I've been letting them outside in a little fenced area together for the past few days since it's been so nice and there's never any nipping or bullying.

I would love some feedback on the issue from anyone willing to share.
Thanks!!

Our 3 chickens sleep in the same shed as our 4 Muscovy ducks. The Muscovy ducks actually ditched the shed where all the other ducks sleep and decided to sleep there instead. I guess they felt they were better than the other ducks because they can fly like the chickens. During the day they all free range with their own kind.

We just got 2 ducks and 2 chicks this last weekend (8 more chicks coming!). We have them in the brooder together, eating the same crumble. We were told that if we wanted ducks we should get them at the same time as the chicks so they all grow together. We were also told that when the chicks move to the coop, then the ducks would go with them... So, that's the plan. They're all super cute, aren't they? :) And, they all get along great!

oh yes- we had 14 chicks and 6 ducks in the same coop and they did fabulous. ducks make such a mess though.

Well that all makes me feel MUCH better!! Thank you everyone!
Chickiee, we also bought our ducks and chickens together and they've been around each other since day 1..so what your doing with your bunch reassures me that I'm at least doing that part right!
woot.gif

This is all great to hear and makes me feel good about raising chickens and ducks! Plus it's so much fun!! And they are ADORABLE!!

Thanks again!

We got our order of 7 more chicks yesterday... Just a note about adding chicks to the already set brooder of 2 ducks and 2 chicks... The ducks were complete bullies to the new chicks. Not the 2 chicks they were being raised with, but the new ones (only 3 days younger). Standing tall, puffing out their chest and running the new chicks over... repeatedly. I understand now from others that the ducks typically "rule the coop." To stop this ridiculous duck behavior, I quickly made a MUCH bigger brooder by taping larger boxes together and changed up the environment so the chicks and ducks would have a level playing field to start with. No pre-determined territories. I put the newest chicks in first for a few moments, then the first 2 chicks, then the ducks last. This completely worked. Thank goodness... I was really worried about the smallest chick, an adorable little Partridge Rock. And they all lived happily ever after... :)

Back
Top Bottom