1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks and chickens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by hilltopchicks77, Mar 8, 2016.

1. hilltopchicks77

hilltopchicks77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2016
    So I was intending to have 2 runs for my ducks and chickens, unfortunately it seems they have other plans! In just 2 days my ducklings and chicks are super attached. Do you think its ok to separate them? I took the ducks outside today and they were calling for the chicks as soon as I took them out!

Anyone house them together? or should I just make 2 runs next to each other and they can just hang together when out for the day. The one chick that seems the most attached I believe to be a roo. Could I put just the roo in with the ducks?

2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Two runs they will be fine, it isn't a good idea to keep male ducks and hens close to each other as mature adults it will not be pretty. you can have a clear panel or use hardware cloth between the two but you should keep them separate if you have a male duck.

3. hilltopchicks77

Mar 7, 2016
    Thank you! Good to know! Is a rooster ok in with 2 ducks? My buff Orpington I suspect is a cockerel is super attached to the ducks already

4. hilltopchicks77

Mar 7, 2016
    So I took the ducklings out and put them in their own brooder and they keep yelling for the chicks! I feel bad! It's only been 10 mins should I give them longer or put them back?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by