Ducks and chickens

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by brysonandrus, Jul 5, 2016.

1. brysonandrus

brysonandrus New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    Can i mix chickens with ducks in the coop?

2. widelacing

widelacing Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Yes! But when they are in the brooder the ducks will make everything wet around the waterer, so if chicks are in there too it needs to be fairly large so that the chicks can stay dry.

3. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Yes, but make sure you check/change the bedding daily. Ducks are the messiest creatures. :rolleyes: ducks will grow a good deal faster than chicks, so size may become a concern. What breeds are they?

4. brysonandrus

brysonandrus New Egg

Jun 14, 2016
    I dont have any ducks was just wondering

5. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Ah okay. :)

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Well file this away in your memory banks in case you ever decide to have both. Drakes, male ducks, will often attempt to breed chicken hens. Duck anatomy is totally different than that of a rooster. In trying to breed a chicken, a drake will either severely damage or kill her. No joke. It's best to either keep the ducks separate or only have female ducks around chickens.

7. WPFarmstead

WPFarmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2016
    North Idaho
    I only had an issue with the drake trying to mount a hen once. That was purely because he was continually fighting with the roosters I had at the time and thought he was the boss of everything. I got a new, bigger and better rooster and a gander for a short time. Between the two of them, the drake learned his place quite quickly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by