Ducks and chickens?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Savanna’s chickens, Jun 21, 2018.

1. Savanna’s chickens

Savanna’s chickens Chirping

May 20, 2018
    I know you can keep ducks and chickens together but is there anything to be warned about? Do they eat the same feed? Do I need to have a little duck pool IN the run because we are free ranging our chickens and would with ducks. But some days we don’t free range if there was a predator or we were too busy! And how big of a pool do we need? And where would be the best place to get ducklings! Are drakes like roosters? Do they crow? I’ve done some research but I want more than one source and I think this would be a good place. Any other info would be appreciated!

Farmer Connie likes this.
  2. TSOWOATNKC

TSOWOATNKC Songster

Jun 11, 2018
    You can feed an all flock. Just offer oyster shell to those laying, and possibly B to ducks. Drakes don’t crow, but they have very high sex drive from what I’ve read. If they try to mate a chicken it could hurt them badly. I use 75-110 gallon stock water tanks. I have 16 ducks using 4 right now.

Ducks drink a lot more water.

3. Savanna’s chickens

May 20, 2018
    I’ve heard it’s easier to sex ducks so maybe I would get all females? And would a rooster do anything to a duck? We have 2 rooster both still young but we will only have 1 soon

Dawnclucks22 likes this.
  4. TSOWOATNKC

TSOWOATNKC Songster

Jun 11, 2018
    Rooster penises are basically just nubs. Drakes have these terrifying spirals as members. Females can prevent even them from “hitting the spot” so to speak So in terms of mating and having chicken-duck hybrids it isn’t even a slight concern. Roosters can be aggressive, so that can be a concern.

5. Savanna’s chickens

May 20, 2018
    One more question do you think 100 gallons is big enough and should I put it in the run in case they don’t free range that day or maybe put something small in the run and the big one outside

6. Savanna’s chickens

May 20, 2018
    Oh and I’m not going to keep a rooster if it turns out to be aggressive towards ANYTHING and isn’t solved with a slap to the ground

7. TSOWOATNKC

TSOWOATNKC Songster

Jun 11, 2018
    Personally, I say as big as you can handle dumping and refilling. They love diving, and they love getting dirty. If they get too dirty for too long it can lead to an inability to properly waterproof their feathers.

8. Savanna’s chickens

May 20, 2018
    About how often do you clean it? And do I need multiple “ponds”

9. TSOWOATNKC

TSOWOATNKC Songster

Jun 11, 2018
    I clean mine daily, and have 4 tanks that the 16 ducks and 3 geese use. I’ll have 4 tanks once I move the other 4 geese and 5 ducks out there.

10. Savanna’s chickens

May 20, 2018
    I’m thinking one or two kitty pools and then one of the livestock waterers (100-110 gallons probably) would that be ok?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: