ducks and chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DrakeJake, Jan 11, 2011.

1. DrakeJake

DrakeJake Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    Thorsby Alberta
    does anyone else have problems with their ducks poo freezing in clumps and sticking to them. ive been bringing mine into the house and cleaning it off in the tub, who'da guessed this would be an issue

2. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    This is exactly what I have been doing with 2 of my male call ducks! They get huge icy poop balls stuck to their butts. I bring them into the tub and let them thaw off and get cleaned up. Then I let them dry in the house for a while. My one call just isn't handling the winter well at all. I've decided to keep him in the house til the temps stay above zero. So, for at least a month. He was raised in the house, so he doesn't mind.

I think the frozen poop must just be from them sitting in the same spot all day. I didn't have this problem last year, but I have different ducks now.

Here's mister poopy-butt house duck.
    [​IMG]

3. DrakeJake

Jan 11, 2011
    Thorsby Alberta
    right on, so this new timer to duckland is doing it right i guess, thanks. im completely new to this forum stuff, posts and all and am trying to figure it all out. i will be sending pics when i know what im doing. im in a small town and i beleive the only wacko with chickens and ducks along with the usual dogs and cats. i had 5 chickens and 4 ducks but just adopted 7 more chickens from a friend getting divorced, holy crap what a smozzle getting the living quarters all arranged. the coup was perfect for my small flock so im trying to extend it,im still working on it daily with tarps (trial and error in the wind and snow) i tend to worry a lot for my flock and want everyone comfortable. i have at least figured out the perfect solution to water freezing. i use a large heavy black plastic shallow bucket for the ducks and put in a de icer, works like a charm and i change it every other day. i also cover half of it so the beggers cant crap in it. same idea for the chickens, large 5 gallon pail, cut a slit out so they can reach and everyone is all suited up for water, releif.

4. DrakeJake

Jan 11, 2011
    Thorsby Alberta
    before the weather got sooooo cold i was letting the ducks bath in their water bucket and thts when i first noticed frozen poop bums. so i decided no more baths but they still get poop bums so i think your right. they have no discerning where or when they let er rip.

5. Where The Wild Things Are

Where The Wild Things Are Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2010
    Utah
    I have not had any frozen poopy bum issues. I do have a heated pond for them to swim in, so thats probably why.

6. DrakeJake

Jan 11, 2011
    Thorsby Alberta
    oh wow. how do you manage in the winter, do you have a kiddy pool or are you on a farm with a large pond (heated?) im very interested in what your doing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by