ducks and chickens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Mar 3, 2012.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    DH asked this morning if they get along. I said yes, but beyond that I didn't know much about their differences.
    If housed at night together, I said they need to be on opposite sides of the house so the ducks aren't getting pooped on by the chickens. But that was the extent of my chicken knowledge.

So in our set up, what are the differences we'd notice.

Ducks have their own house - there is NO room for chickens in with them, we'd have to build/buy them something.
    Ducks free range in our fenced yard - with our dogs who have in and out access during the day while we are gone.
    Ducks have their own raised pond (with stairs).
    Ducks have a fenced in area next to the house/deck that the dogs can't get to that has their house and their food and a dish of water that is hanging on the side of their feeding station (just to keep the food from getting wet during rain storms).

2. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    I have 1 duck and 5 chickens. The duck was raised with the chickens and thinks she is one. Duck gets along fine. Sleeps in the coop, eats with the chickens, lays eggs in the chicken nests They get along great. I just bought 5 more chicks and another duckling. Maybe duck will become a duck now.....

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Do I need to do anything different than I have for the ducks to live here?
    Back 4 acres are fenced with field fencing. Keeps the neighbor's dogs out. I have seen some tracks on the roof of the duck house, but so far (knock on wood), we've had no predator issues.
    We do have a hawk that comes around now and then, but mostly the stuff flying above are large crows and black vulture like things that are more than happy to stick to all the road kill (again, knocking on wood).
    Ducks have a very secure place to sleep at night and are locked in each night after I round them up from their pond after dark.

Just a secure coop for chickens if we consider adding a few?

4. sab

sab Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Ripley, WV
    My Coop
    Folks here know more than me. What I do know is that you will have to integrate the chickens into the duck flock slowly and allow the chicks to become full sized before introductions. And even then you have to watch them close. When I introduced 2new chicks (grown enough to be considered adult sized) into my flock, it was duck-duck that lowered her head and charged at them like a tank. I don't know if she would have actually hurt them had she caught 1. She enjoyed terrorizing tem though.

Chickens are very susceptible to predictors. My birds are only allowed to free roam a few hours a day and only when I am home. That's your call as far as free roaming goes. Knock on wood-I haven't lost 1 yet but many a day I have gone out to put them in their run just to see a hawk setting in the tree watching them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by