Ducks and Chickens

deserthotwings

Songster
8 Years
Jul 1, 2011
Queen Creek AZ
Has anyone housed their ducks and chickens together ? I have 15 flying mallards that are in an enclosed pen (20x20) I was thinking about putting some laying hens in with them but don't know about the water issue. Thought maybe someone might have some experience or ideas on how to keep the water clean for the chickens, or is this an impossibility. Thanks for any advise.

I house all my chickens together with my white Pekin duck and the duck actually pretends to be a chicken (LOL)! I also house my mallard ducklings with my chicks and they seem to get along fine. As for the keeping the water clean, i would provide one or two water sources so there is always fresh water avaliable! Good luck!

Thanks ChickenBoy13, I'll try several different water bowls and see how it goes. If that Pekin ever starts crowing please let us know.
ya.gif

I had 4 pekin ducks, down to 2 now because male/female ratios.. But they have been with my 6 laying hens since day one. They share water, food and an enclosed shelter and really have no problem with each other.. When I lock them in their house at night I make sure the chickens have a perch to be able to get away if any problems occur. But never once have I seen them attacked. I dont know how they would react if they have to be introduced together as adults but theres no hurt in trying I guess. Just keep an eye on them. For the water, the ducks are extremely messy. I have 3 dishes. One in the house which stays clean through out the day because the ducks like to stay outside, and a dish outside and a big dish for the ducks to swim/drink in. They are so cute to watch all together so hope it works out for you :)

Back
Top Bottom