Ducks and chickens

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by kingkav, Jan 6, 2014.

1. kingkav

kingkav Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    Norwich, uk
    Anybody got any advice anout keeping a duck and a hens together as we are looking into it

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

2. caco123

caco123 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2013
    Anybody got any advice anout keeping a duck and a hens together as we are looking into it

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk[/quote

Hi me and my boyfriend keep 2drakes and 2ducks along with 20hens/roosters! They all live happily together.. But they do need more water than a hen[​IMG]we are in the process of burying a tub In the yard for them!but they eat a lot more than hens and the coop tends to be a lot grubbier. They are very comical and are lovely pets[​IMG]

3. FarmalI

FarmalI Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    what do you mean by grubbier?

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Any time you keep a drake with chickens[hens] you run the risk of the drake trying to mate with a chicken and it never goes well for the hen, I will say not all drakes will try to mate with a chicken especially if he has plenty of ducks to mate with, but we have heard of some deaths on here from drakes mating chickens. I'd rather be safe than sorry especially if you plan on keeping them closed in a run together where the chickens wouldn't have an easy way of getting away.

grubbier means ducks are very messy, love water and can wreck havoc in a chicken coop if allowed to have food and water in it. Ducks also need to have a bucket or something deep to wash their faces in for health and for eating their feed, chicken waterers aren't suitable.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by