Ducks and Deep Snow / Winter

CJkid

Chirping
7 Years
Apr 19, 2012
Montana
Ok... I have 2 ducks 1 a rouen and 1 a blue swedish. And like any ducks they love their water. Problem we have just gotten our first snow (about 10 inches) and the temps are in the teens-30s.
Right now they share a coop with our chickens, and the way it is set up we can't have a pool in there for them. Even if we did it would prob freeze. I thought about giving them access to a heated pool outside.
I've heard that ducks are very good at taking cold temps. But what about their feet and the snow? I'm worried about frostbite.
What would be the best thing to do right now? We're planning on building them their own coop but that won't be til prob spring. So what should we do for now. other than bringing them in the house for their bath?

Ok... I have 2 ducks 1 a rouen and 1 a blue swedish. And like any ducks they love their water. Problem we have just gotten our first snow (about 10 inches) and the temps are in the teens-30s.
Right now they share a coop with our chickens, and the way it is set up we can't have a pool in there for them. Even if we did it would prob freeze. I thought about giving them access to a heated pool outside.
I've heard that ducks are very good at taking cold temps. But what about their feet and the snow? I'm worried about frostbite.
What would be the best thing to do right now? We're planning on building them their own coop but that won't be til prob spring. So what should we do for now. other than bringing them in the house for their bath?

What I do is take up the pool once winter sets in and everything is frozen, then on days when it gets up into 30's above freezing I will fill up a cement mixing tub [Lowes or TSC] and let them have a swim then dump out at the end of the day, As long as they have a bucket of water to wash their faces in[very important for health] they would be fine without swimming water at all. You can buy heated buckets and dog bowls at TSC also. They sure are cute.

Back
Top Bottom